New label, Blue Engine Records

Hardbopjazz

There has to be many gems in the vaults.

We're excited to announce the launch of Jazz at Lincoln Center's newest initiative: Blue Engine Records. 

As today's New York Times article attests, this record label has been a long time coming. It started as an idea way back when Jazz at Lincoln Center came steaming out of the station with our first concerts some 28 years ago.

Blue Engine helps us fulfill an integral part of our mission: entertaining, enriching and expanding a global community for jazz. Blue Engine’s albums will allow jazz fans worldwide to enjoy music—wherever they are and whenever they want—from Jazz at Lincoln Center’s vast archive of live and studio recordings.

NY Times article

Straight to the used bins, I'm thinking.

Really? There have been many winderful concerts over the years at JALC that I've seen. For example, Ahmad Jamal Quartet. Chick Corea Trio. The music of Tadd Dameron with Charlie Rouse and Tommy Flanagan just to name shows I've attended.

Yes, but if I read the story correctly, most of the recordings will be of the JALC orchestra, and we know how well those albums have sold over the years.

'The recording project is the baby of Mr. Marsalis, who has conceived and developed each year’s programming over the last 28 years. “I picked almost every song we played at every concert,” he said.

'Comprising mostly performances by Mr. Marsalis and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra, the organization’s R. Theodore Ammon Archives and Music Library has grown to include thousands of songs from hundreds of concerts.'

Edited by Larry Kart