Recordings Dedicated To Ornette's Music

relyles

Since Ornette Coleman passed away my listening has focused on his discography. I started from the earliest recordings in his discography in my collection, and I intend to continue in chronological order. The past two days have been the Blue Note recordings, Love Call and New York Is Now. Once I get through all of the recordings lead by Coleman I plan to spend time with recordings featuring his key collaborators like Don Cherry, Charlie Haden, Dewey Redman, etc. After that I think it might be interesting to check out recordings by musicians outside Coleman's inner circle performing his music. I know a couple - such as Joe Rosenberg's A Tribute To Ornette Coleman (although Dewey Redman is actually featured on that one), Eric Boeren's Joy of A Toy, and a couple of others that I can't name at the moment. There are countless recordings dedicated to the music of the likes of Thelonious Monk, Duke Ellington and other icons of the music, by artists who had no direct interaction with the source of their inspiration. Are there many other recordings out there featuring Ornette compositions predominantly performed by musicians other than musicians closely associated with the genius himself?

Another one in my collection that I picked up in the $1 racks at my local independent retailer is a 2012 recording on Origin by the Todd Bishop Group titled Little Played Little Bird. I was not familiar with Bishop before this recording, but thought it was a solid attempt at Ornette's music.

The following quote from a review of the Aki Takase/Silke Eberhard recording mentioned above (which I have ordered) by Art Lange resonates with me as a reason why compared to other great jazz composers, Coleman's music is not covered as often:

http://www.pointofdeparture.org/PoD13/PoD13FickleSonance.html

What about Ornette? Who covers Ornette Coleman tunes today? His position as a brilliant improviser and conceptual iconoclast is unchallenged, but do we really think of Ornette as a composer? Yes, there’s “Skies of America,” and his string quartet pieces, and the “classical” works that were issued on an RCA album back in the ‘60s. But except for “Lonely Woman”—apparently the Ornette tune to play when you’re playing only one—when was the last time you heard a band cover a Coleman tune, or two? How many can you hum? (This is not a comment on their tunefulness, but on their familiarity.) The truth is, Ornette’s tunes are identified with his own performances. Like the music of Anthony Braxton, which has not achieved jazz repertory status either, alas, I can count the number of great Ornette covers pretty much on one hand. 

Ralph Peterson and his Fo'tet as well as Larry Schnieder have both recorded albums entitled ORNETTOLOGY.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/ornettology-mw0001160914

http://www.discogs.com/Ralph-Peterson-Fotet-Ornettology/release/2338869

The Peterson isn't a repertoire / tribute LP per se... it only features one Ornette tune ("Congeniality")... but the playing by Peterson, Don Byron, Bryan Carrott and Melissa Slocum is definitely Ornette-inspired.

Also, one of the earliest and still one the finest interpretations of an Ornette Coleman composition (from SMACK UP)...

Edited by Joe

Obvious ones I don't think have been mentioned: the Old and New Dreams recordings.

Of course those I am aware of. I am really thinking about recordings by musicians not featuring former collaborators of Coleman. In any event, the Old and new Dreams recordings are some of my personal favorites.

A few others I found searching on Amazon. I am not familiar with any of these recordings and any comments from those who are would be appreciated:

51wcXvfU1lL._SY355_.jpg                                           71eVtW4T2fL._SX355_.jpg

41MQYFnyUTL._SX425_.jpg                               51p33%2B4kvcL._SY355_.jpg

51beink%2BE%2BL._SX355_.jpg                      

Paul Plimley once did an enjoyable album of Ornette songs with Lisle Ellis and a drummer. Did Ira Sullivan's old Chicago band record "When Will the Blues Leave"? They used to play it and "Lonely Woman" - pretty bold beboppers.

Oh right, that Plimley disc on Hat Hut. It's interesting; I have it in memory as an album of piano and bass duets, however.

Paul Plimley once did an enjoyable album of Ornette songs with Lisle Ellis and a drummer. Did Ira Sullivan's old Chicago band record "When Will the Blues Leave"? They used to play it and "Lonely Woman" - pretty bold beboppers.

Oh right, that Plimley disc on Hat Hut. It's interesting; I have it in memory as an album of piano and bass duets, however.

I may be misremembering - haven't heard the album in a long time.