Stylus Force Tracking Gauge

GA Russell

Wirecutter.com says that it is necessary for those who listen to vinyl to have a stylus force tracking gauge.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SFG-2-Stylus-Tracking-Force/dp/B00006I5SD?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ&tag=cameltracker-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00006I5SD

Does anyone have one?  How often do you use it?

Setting the correct tracking force on the tonearm  is essential for preserving the source material and the cartridge, and getting the best sound from your turntable. A scale, whether digital, or anallogue, like in your link, is a must. I find the digital scale, i.e. a"coke scale" more accurate, but analog scales, like the classic Shure, will do also. Once you've set the correct tracking force on the counterweight of your tonearm, you dont have to use the scale again,  unless you like to experiment. 

Some manufacturers include a scale with their tonearms or cartridges.  A digital one I  have, cost about $10-$15 from Amazon, as I recall.

Edited by Dmitry

I use an Ortofon analog scale along with the tonearm counterweight for setting the correct weight. Re-check the setting every month or so (along with the level).

Why? Once you dial it in, it should be fine. Same goes for the platter level, unless your floor or equipment rack are perpetually sagging and expanding...

Edited by Dmitry

I use an Ortofon analog scale along with the tonearm counterweight for setting the correct weight. Re-check the setting every month or so (along with the level).

If you have an Ortofon cartridge, are you running a little heavier than they recommend? I find that my 2M Black tracks better and sounds a bit better when I track a little over the 1.5 gram recommended tracking force.

Why? Once you dial it in, it should be fine. Same goes for the platter level, unless your floor or equipment rack are perpetually sagging and expanding...

Unipivot arm.

If you have an Ortofon cartridge, are you running a little heavier than they recommend? I find that my 2M Black tracks better and sounds a bit better when I track a little over the 1.5 gram recommended tracking force.

No, I run a Dynavector moving coil. It is trial and error as to what weight setting works best but I find that slightly above the recommended level gives the optimum output. This is with the Naim Aro arm with heavy counterweight.

Edited by sidewinder