Blindfold Test 136 discussion

tkeith

1.  I love this, the feeling and the fun of it. I can't identify the musicians. I would like to buy this after I find out who it is.

This one is tricky because you can't over think it.  When you think, "sounds like something these guys might do," it's probably them.

2.  This is a solid bop tune, which again I cannot identify.

I'm surprised only one person has gotten the tune.  Check the hints about the players I gave in recent comments.

3.  This is exactly in the zone of music that I really love. I love the very compelling saxophone player, who has a deep Coltrane influence. The head of the song sounds like a sped up Coltrane composition. I love the active, energetic drummer. I love the sound and approach of the bass player. What is this? I am ordering it.

Hint:  Not sure you can.  But if you do, you'd be buying it direct.  

4.  This starts out for me somewhat like Miles Davis' original recording of "Nefertiti" in that the bass and drums supply the variety while the horns play the same thing. I love the sound and approach of the bass player. But then the tenor sax solo starts, and it reminds me of Dewey Redman on the ECM albums that he played on, such as the Old and New Dreams album. I really love this.

I love this record far more than I love the players.

5.  Very interesting. It starts out so soft with the clarinet and drums, then moves into something else altogether. The muted and then open trumpet solos are very interesting--is that the same trumpet player playing both of them?  The drummer really opens up as the track goes on. This intrigues me. I would buy this one too.

Same trumpet player.  Not well known, but this is his second appearance in one of my BFTs.

6.  This is fascinating, all of the different elements. I really like it. There is a small bit of "Boogie Woogie Waltz" at the beginning, but they don't seem to continue with it or go back to it. The ensemble sounds quite large at times. The tenor sax player has such a big, compelling sound, and is so familiar to me when he plays the head, but I can't quite place him. Another one that I would definitely buy.

7.  Oh, this one is just great! Such powerhouse drumming! What a drummer! I like the electric piano and electronics, they add a nice different color. The trumpet solo is quite good. But to me, this is the drummer's record. Another one I want to buy.

8.. As I previously stated, this is the title cut, the opening cut, of Muhal Richard Abrams' "Afrisong" album. I purchased it as an LP on India Navigation, long ago.

Ding!  Ding!  Very surprised so many people heard Jarrett in this.

9.  I really don't know what this is. The guitar player has such a rock tone. The organist is great. The saxophone player has a distinctive tone. I like the Latin flavor. Really good!

You got it all except the names!

10. Green Dolphin Street--I cannot place who this playing it, at all.

Hint:  This tenor player is royalty.

11.  A hard bop track. I really like the tenor sax solo. He is bluesy and unique, just what I like. The trumpet solo is quite good too. I want to know what this is--I would buy this one too.

Hint:  This is a well-known label, lesser known player.

12. This is truly great! I love the bass player's sound and approach. The trombone player is powerful and bluesy. The tenor sax player is quite good. I love the feeling of this track, the groove, the way that the percussion really adds to it. Another one to buy!

Now readily available.  Not always the case (hint).

13.  Beautiful flute playing, really nice. I like this a lot. I can't place who it is.

ID'd above.  This is one of the few flutists I could peg.

14, Oh, I love this! Very powerful, soulful feeling. The trombone player is a very powerful player. I love how he plays, so rough and tough. It is an interesting larger ensemble. I have to have this.

Yeah, that.

15.  I don't know who this is but the guitar player sounds familiar. The sax player is a major player. I like this a lot.

Major and forgotten.  ID'd above.

Overall this is a truly great Blindfold Test, which is going to cost me a lot of money--unless I already have several of the albums which I love so much here, which is a distinct possibility even though I could only identify one track!

Hi Thom,
Some tunes seem to have two numbers, but I'm naming them in order of the list. This is how they appeared for me. Here are more my thoughts, not so much as solutions:

01. 6:24 She got it –  album: Buddy Tate and his Celebrity Club Orchestra   (composer:  Arnett Cobb en Buddy Tate) 
Nice song.  Personnel:
bass –John Williams; drums – Billy Stewart;  piano – Skip Hall; tenor sax – Buddy Tate;  trombone – Dickie Wells; trumpet – Dud Bascomb;

02. This has some “The Saint” like intro, if you know what I mean. Nice theme. It doesn’t sound familiar. Steady rhythm section.

03. This doesn’t sound familiar either. Nice theme by the sax player. Not all is my thing I must say. I do like the bass part.

04. A bit ‘Take 5’ like intro, or at least it reminds me of it. Sounds like a tune that could be used in a movie. It gets a bit chaotic at some point.

05. Lovely beginning. Nice theme, sounds familiar but I can’t come up with a title. I really like this one.  Nice rhythm, invites to dance. I can imagine dancing a samba on this one. Yes, lovely song.

06. Seems like a “canon”; not sure whether that is the correct word in English but I can’t seem to find a translation of it. A bit chaotic at some point. Sounds a bit like “Papa was a rolling stone”  at some point.
:) I like the building up and then getting back to really small. Curious who this could be.

07. I have no idea. Could also be film music. It has something “futuristic”.

08. Reminds me a bit of a song of Abdullah Ibrahim, not sure it is him. I don’t know the song.

09. Oo! Let’s Cha Cha! Nice! Sounds like a Latin blues or at least a 20 bar blues at Latin rhythm which is a nice touch. A touch of “Santana” it seems. :D I have no clue. Another one that would get my feet up there (meaning dance floor). At sessions they've called me the Latin singer, so I have a bit of a thing for these rhythms. I do like swing as well.

10. Nice. I think I know the theme, but I can’t come up with a title right now.

11. Good song for practicing your long notes.
:)  I have no clue. I really like it though.

12. Nice bass intro. Another Latin song.  

13. jazz waltz. I love those. Beautiful flute theme.

14. Not really my thing I must say. I find it a bit too ‘hasty’ playing. I sounds a bit chaotic because of that.

15. personnel: John (what’s his name?!) Lol.  No, I have no clue, but he is called out. I hear part of a children’s song I know. In our language it is called “Green is grass”, but that probably is not the correct title in English. Another jazz waltz, but not as nice as the other one. At least I don’t like it as much as that one.  It starts nice, but I don’t like the sax solo that much.

Thank you for nice BFT, Thom,. There are quite a few songs I really like and they all sound new to me, so I’m curious to find out about the musicians. I think no. 5 is my favourite.
Kind regards, page

Hi Thom,
Some tunes seem to have two numbers, but I'm naming them in order of the list. This is how they appeared for me. Here are more my thoughts, not so much as solutions:

01. 6:24 She got it –  album: Buddy Tate and his Celebrity Club Orchestra   (composer:  Arnett Cobb en Buddy Tate) 
Nice song.  Personnel:
bass –John Williams; drums – Billy Stewart;  piano – Skip Hall; tenor sax – Buddy Tate;  trombone – Dickie Wells; trumpet – Dud Bascomb;

Ding!  Ding!  I'm surprised more folks didn't get Tate.

02. This has some “The Saint” like intro, if you know what I mean. Nice theme. It doesn’t sound familiar. Steady rhythm section.

03. This doesn’t sound familiar either. Nice theme by the sax player. Not all is my thing I must say. I do like the bass part.

04. A bit ‘Take 5’ like intro, or at least it reminds me of it. Sounds like a tune that could be used in a movie. It gets a bit chaotic at some point.

05. Lovely beginning. Nice theme, sounds familiar but I can’t come up with a title. I really like this one.  Nice rhythm, invites to dance. I can imagine dancing a samba on this one. Yes, lovely song.

06. Seems like a “canon”; not sure whether that is the correct word in English but I can’t seem to find a translation of it. A bit chaotic at some point. Sounds a bit like “Papa was a rolling stone”  at some point.
:) I like the building up and then getting back to really small. Curious who this could be.

07. I have no idea. Could also be film music. It has something “futuristic”.

08. Reminds me a bit of a song of Abdullah Ibrahim, not sure it is him. I don’t know the song.

09. Oo! Let’s Cha Cha! Nice! Sounds like a Latin blues or at least a 20 bar blues at Latin rhythm which is a nice touch. A touch of “Santana” it seems. :D I have no clue. Another one that would get my feet up there (meaning dance floor). At sessions they've called me the Latin singer, so I have a bit of a thing for these rhythms. I do like swing as well.

I added this late.  I realized when people started to post about the double numbers that I did not change the ID3 tags.  It seems that people are getting them in the correct order, though.

10. Nice. I think I know the theme, but I can’t come up with a title right now.

11. Good song for practicing your long notes.
:)  I have no clue. I really like it though.

12. Nice bass intro. Another Latin song.  

13. jazz waltz. I love those. Beautiful flute theme.

14. Not really my thing I must say. I find it a bit too ‘hasty’ playing. I sounds a bit chaotic because of that.

15. personnel: John (what’s his name?!) Lol.  No, I have no clue, but he is called out. I hear part of a children’s song I know. In our language it is called “Green is grass”, but that probably is not the correct title in English. Another jazz waltz, but not as nice as the other one. At least I don’t like it as much as that one.  It starts nice, but I don’t like the sax solo that much.

Thank you for nice BFT, Thom,. There are quite a few songs I really like and they all sound new to me, so I’m curious to find out about the musicians. I think no. 5 is my favourite.
Kind regards, page

8.. As I previously stated, this is the title cut, the opening cut, of Muhal Richard Abrams' "Afrisong" album. I purchased it as an LP on India Navigation, long ago.

Ding!  Ding!  Very surprised so many people heard Jarrett in this.

In my opinion this is one thing that is fun about the Blindfold Tests, when listeners think that they are listening to someone else, when the information is not known to them ahead of time. They are listening without the influence of the LP or CD cover in front of them, and if they think that they are hearing someone who is not usually stylistically close to the actual artist--to me, that is fun.

Hi Thom,

Nice song.  Personnel:

Damn me, I should have got Buddy Tate! That's mid fifties, I think. Never heard any of Tate from that period. In fact, I think he only did two sessions between about 1950 and '58. This really shows he shouldn't have been left out in the cold.

MG

Hi Thom,

Nice song.  Personnel:

Damn me, I should have got Buddy Tate! That's mid fifties, I think. Never heard any of Tate from that period. In fact, I think he only did two sessions between about 1950 and '58. This really shows he shouldn't have been left out in the cold.

MG

It definitely is one that did make me smile from the first listening run on. It's so nice to learn about these! :)

I can't believe I didn't recognize "On Green Dolphin Street" and then that "Mission Impossible"- theme, it does sound a bit like the one from "The Saint" in atmosphere I think.

Hi Thom,

Nice song.  Personnel:

MG

Oh, so it's this!

%7Boption%7Dhttp://cdn.discogs.com/9PRbJEb_T6xyweESbRHI8BeZziU=/fit-in/300x300/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb()/discogs-images/R-4164468-1357407946-9851.jpeg.jpg

My goodness! NOT one I've got - looks like, despite having 22 Tate albums, I'm still low on Buddy Tate.

Well, well. Thanks.

MG