WTF Bill Cosby!!!

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So on top of everything else, Cosby and his Lawyers are also now concerned about getting back the money from one of the women with whom he settled out of court.

And really, I'm "ok" with that. To not be leads us down the rabbit hole of a contract being a contract until it's not, and the next time somebody tries to pull some underhanded shit on you, just remember - you got a contract, right? So, there's mechanisms to work around that, but some cat just can't say, oh, I don't want to do this any more, no mas and there not be repercussions. You do not want a system that would work like that. As much as you don't like a system where silence that serves to the determent of justice can be bought for the "right price", you want one where people can just sign up and then walk out unchecked even less.

And remember folks - people with power and money use no small portion of it to acquire legal representation whose job it then becomes to know the laws inside and out, because that's a lawyer's job - to represent the interests of their client to the very best of their ability. If it gets to be a dirty job, well, then, they can call that Mike Rowe guy.

Again - power is not an intrinsically benevolent force, this is something we need to educate our children (and adults) about. If you ever find yourself in a confrontation with power, know in advance that you yourself will either need to acquire strong representation or else be prepared to settle for a deal that will compromise you as much and for as long as possible as the power deems necessary. And if you later want/need to "get out" of that agreement, get yourself a damn good lawyer first. Don't just wake up one day and think you're free of all that shit, good luck on that one.

There's a dark side to "free speech", there's a dark side to contract law, there's a dark side to damn near every thing.

Anyway, kudos to courage but do expect to pay.

Unfortunately, confidentiality agreements and non disclosure agreements are legally binding. Penalties for breaking them can be harsh. 

Yes, I know and understand. I was just being cynical.

Edited by page

I think you should comment, Cyril. We're just with a few women here on this forum. I'd like to know what you thought when you saw that cover. Maybe you feel it is beyond any comment and obvious and it probably is, but I think that we as women especially should comment. I still shiver seeing it, it hurts me really. Well, I hope you will anyway.

Edited by page

I agree it is a fine thing that "the State" cannot deprive Bill of his liberty without being found guilty in a court of law.  That doesn't mean that the rest of us in the public have to slink around the matter and pretend that he is innocent until he is actually brought up on charges.  That is an impossible standard, particularly as the statutes of limitations have passed on all but one or two of these cases.  As long as we remember to say that Cosby is only an alleged rapist and that dozens of women have come forward with stories that accuse him of non-consensual sex, but that none of these have been proven 100% I really don't see what the problem is.  We can boycott him to our heart's content.  It is the same distinction between the State suppressing free speech and a corporation muzzling its employees.  If Bill really wants to clear his name, he has options to offer up his sworn testimony on his side of the story.  I'm expecting he will have plenty of opportunity in various upcoming civil cases.  I guess we'll see how he responds.

Exactly.  The standards of the legal system, which are appropriate and necessary, don't require us to suspend common sense when drawing conclusions about reality.  I don't need a judge or jury's determination to tell me the sky is blue.

Speaking of suspending common sense...the recent allegation that Bill Cosby has sexual contact with a 15 year old girl at the Playboy Mansion in 1975(?). am I the only one who thinks that no matter how degenerate an incident that might have been, the real story here is that there was even a 15 year old girl available for sex in the Playboy Mansion in the first place? How did that happen?

Will either the prosecution or the defense be seeking an deposition from Hugh Hefner?

Speaking of suspending common sense...the recent allegation that Bill Cosby has sexual contact with a 15 year old girl at the Playboy Mansion in 1975(?). am I the only one who thinks that no matter how degenerate an incident that might have been, the real story here is that there was even a 15 year old girl available for sex in the Playboy Mansion in the first place? How did that happen?

Will either the prosecution or the defense be seeking an deposition from Hugh Hefner?

Hugh thought that Polanski would be dropping by...

One of my earliest memories was hearing Bill Cosby's "Wonderfulness" album, I loved it so much I played it over and over.  Sadly, not sure I'll ever be able to revisit it now.  I can usually separate the art from the artist...but I'm having a tough time here.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...