WTF Bill Cosby!!!

Waiting to see how a "he said she said he said she said" defense can put a man in jail.

If that happens, no man is safe from any casual sexual contact with a woman.

On that basis, I should be spending serious time in Federal Prison.....35 years after the fact.

It's no more than a case of "buyer's remorse." She went to his his house, willingly, took drugs [her choice] and got screwed.That isn't rape anymore than leering a a woman's boobs is sexual assault.

Edited by Tim McG

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Tim McG said:

Waiting to see how a "he said she said he said she said" defense can put a man in jail.

On that basis, I should be spending serious time in Federal Prison.....35 years after the fact.

It's no more than a case of "buyer's remorse." She went to his his house, willingly, took drugs [her choice] and got screwed.That isn't rape anymore than leering a a woman's boobs is sexual assault.

Yuck!!

He says one thing, she another.  However, based on his prior history, he's not credible.  Moreover, it will be up to the trier of fact -- the jury -- to determine who's telling the truth.  Just because they have different stories, that doesn't mean the truth can't be determined. 

24 minutes ago, Brad said:

Just because they have different stories, that doesn't mean the truth can't be determined. 

I would actually disagree with that.  Just as with Rashomon, there is no absolute truth in these kinds of matters, since Cosby probably did feel justified in his actions.  Anyway, it doesn't help that the jury is being asked to decide about things over 10 years ago.  That said, one can certainly say there is a pattern of behavior, and a reasonable person would conclude that Bill is a sexual predator. 

Nonetheless, this will be a difficult case to prosecute, since if the judge does allow in all these "extraneous" witnesses, it will probably be appealed forever.  It is also pretty clear that this is a "political" prosecution, since the new DA actually ran on a platform of charging Cosby on the stand.  No matter what you think about this case, it just feels sleazy and unjust to have criminal case proceedings dependent upon the outcome of an election -- and points to the general abuses that arise from having these positions being elected ones.

16 hours ago, Tim McG said:

Without a doubt, the most ignorant and disgusting post I've read here in a long time.

1 hour ago, ejp626 said:

I would actually disagree with that.  Just as with Rashomon, there is no absolute truth in these kinds of matters, since Cosby probably did feel justified in his actions.  Anyway, it doesn't help that the jury is being asked to decide about things over 10 years ago.  That said, one can certainly say there is a pattern of behavior, and a reasonable person would conclude that Bill is a sexual predator. 

Nonetheless, this will be a difficult case to prosecute, since if the judge does allow in all these "extraneous" witnesses, it will probably be appealed forever.  It is also pretty clear that this is a "political" prosecution, since the new DA actually ran on a platform of charging Cosby on the stand.  No matter what you think about this case, it just feels sleazy and unjust to have criminal case proceedings dependent upon the outcome of an election -- and points to the general abuses that arise from having these positions being elected ones.

About Cosby "probably did feel justified in his actions," how does one feel justified about (all this admitted by Cosby in the civil suit deposition, if it turns out to be admissable) acquiring Quaaludes and then giving them to women in order to render them semi-unconscious so they could not effectively resist his having sex with them? His only defense, I would assume, is that these women knew he was giving them Quaaludes and that they wanted to have sex him while they were in a drugged state. Good luck with that.

17 minutes ago, Scott Dolan said:

Consent and enforcement tend to be equally difficult to establish. So good luck to both, really. Especially considering how old the incident itself is. 

Re: "Consent and enforcement tend to be equally difficult to establish." I think I understand" "consent" in this sentence but not "enforcement." Enforcement of what and by whom? And how would whatever "enforcement" means here be "established"? Maybe I'm just a bit thick-headed on New Year's Day, but...

4 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

About Cosby "probably did feel justified in his actions," how does one feel justified about (all this admitted by Cosby in the civil suit deposition, if it turns out to be admissable) acquiring Quaaludes and then giving them to women in order to render them semi-unconscious so they could not effectively resist his having sex with them? His only defense, I would assume, is that these women knew he was giving them Quaaludes and that they wanted to have sex him while they were in a drugged state. Good luck with that.

I'm not sure I've ever encountered anyone who couldn't justify or explain away their actions to themselves at least, no matter how monstrous to others.  I would say that is the defining feature of Middlemarch after all, though one that I found increasingly tiresome.

He might well have said to himself that these women knew that there was a quid pro quo at work, and then they had agreed to come to his place, even after he had made various advances, so they surely knew the score.  The 'ludes were just part of the general loosening up and letting go of their inhibitions, since some of them would have been hung up over sleeping with an African-American.  He was just helping them over the hump, so to speak.

Well, that's how I would write it if I was going to stage this as a novel with access to Cosby's inner thoughts.  I wouldn't buy it if I was on the jury, I should hasten to add...

On Friday, January 1, 2016 at 0:58 PM, ejp626 said:

Rashomon is a movie and if this case does go to trial, the jury or the judge will have to determine what are the facts.  If I recall my course on evidence correctly -- 35 years ago mind you! -- prior bad acts are not admissible to prove that on this occasion he acted the same way he acted on other occasions.  In other words, it will be a difficult case to prosecute.

I have a problem with the Jeffrey Toobin New Yorker article (the only one of Larry's three that I've read so far; Thanks, Larry!).

I was taught that a prior conviction for one crime is considered irrelevant to the matter at hand.  Now Toobin is suggesting that the prosecution may present not a prior conviction, but rather a number of witnesses alleging that he did things similar to what the prosecution is charging.

Then, as Toobin says, the prosecution will not base its case upon evidence regarding the crime charged, but rather that the jury members ask themselves, Can they all be lying?

On 1/1/2016 at 5:39 PM, Tim McG said:

I agree.  If you can't tell the difference between consensual sex and rape, you should probably avoid casual sexual contact.

On January 1, 2016 at 7:39 PM, Tim McG said:

We don't know for a fact that the women were fully aware of what they were taking, and why he was giving it to them. That's where the entire case becomes problematic. If his attorney can prove that they did indeed fully understand the ramifications, then we eventually see The Cosby Show back on Nick At Nite in the future. 

If the prosecutor can prove that they had no idea what they were taking, or had been lied to about what it was, then it's game over, Billy.