Mohawk hair, who besides Sonny Rollins?

Random question du jour...

Who else besides Sonny Rollins sported a Mohawk hairstyle, either in the 50's (especially), but whenever else as long as we're on the subject.

Saw online about American soldiers (paratroopers especially) having Mohawks in WWII, primarily in the military activities in France.  But the Wkkipedia entry and other online sources mention jazz musicians (plural) in the 50's, but seemingly Sonny is the only one mentioned by name.  Who else?

And what approximate years did Sonny (and any others) have Mohawks? I'm not that steeped in Somny Rollins' music or lore, and though I really should know this, it's yet another area of jazz history where I'm pretty thin.

And any other jazz-non-standard-hair-styles discussion too, as I suppose this could be the all-purpose thread for this. Thanks!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Always saw Stan Tracey's hairdo c.1960 as a variant on the Teddy Boy style. Bassist Jeff Clyne on the other hand has something often called a Perry Como, to which I was partial myself at the time. <_<

0d66cf80-6029-11e3-_487423c.jpg

Crew cuts were obviously the thing with the Cool School:

bud_shank_bud_shank.jpg

Even expatriate Brits couldn't resist:

ronnie-ball-300x300.jpg

http://atane.tumblr.com/post/2897620329/sonny-rollins-wore-a-mohawk-hairstyle-long-before

Sonny Rollins wore a Mohawk hairstyle long before punk rock co-opted the look as a fashion statement. Sonny first wore it in 1959, and intermittently in the 60s. Sonny wore the hairstyle to acknowledge the suffering of Native Americans, and drew parallels with the plight of African Americans.

This one here looks early 60s to me:

sonnyrollinsinwhite.jpg

I'm seeing that both of the Wikipeia references to some "jazz musicians (plural)" wearing Mohawks both go to sources that only refer to Sonny Rollins -- so maybe he really was the only one (and the plural is downright wrong).

or were there any others?

Edited by Rooster_Ties

So regarding Mohawks, this "some jazz musicianS (plural) in the 50's" thing -- specifically the plural part -- is a load of crap then.  Correct?

The Wikipedia article reads that way, but I think I saw a couple other online sources with the same plural reference.