Overlooked pianists

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Misleaded by the name - but: Dexter Gordon on piano in Awakenings with Robin Williams and Robert De Niro !

Ronnie Scott was in the habit of announcing Joe Henderson as a forthcoming attraction at the club and then adding "Joe 'Mr Piano' Henderson, that is". :lol:

I well remember him coming out with that one - and the hushed sound of awe and amazement around the club before the 'Mr Piano' bit was mentioned :lol:

Dick Twardzik

Bill Triglia

John Williams (Getz sideman, not the film composer)

Russ Freeman

John Williams is a great choice - fine, distinctive pianist and certainly overlooked. Did some marvellous work in Zoot Sims groups in the mid-fifties. Did I read somewhere that he quit music soon after?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSR3nSnJ0q4

Dick Twardzik

Bill Triglia

John Williams (Getz sideman, not the film composer)

Russ Freeman

John Williams is a great choice - fine, distinctive pianist and certainly overlooked. Did some marvellous work in Zoot Sims groups in the mid-fifties. Did I read somewhere that he quit music soon after?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSR3nSnJ0q4

You´re right, Bill. Unfortunately JW stopped making music in his prime and became a banker and later on a city commissioner. Too bad!

http://www.artsjournal.com/rifftides/2011/01/an_old_bit_of_confusion.html

The superb Fresh Sound Collection "John Willams Trio - Complete Master Takes 1954-55"

belongs to my dearest piano trio recordings from the Fifties.

Always return to this for relaxing enjoyment.

Barbara Carroll made great recordings during the '50s, and I heard a bluenote LP she made, maybe in the '80s, that was terrific and showed a wonderful harmonic sense. She can really play.

This one?

22632608zj.jpg

Recorded at Kendun Recorders, Burbank, California on May 27,28 and 29, 1976

Blue Note BN-LA645-G

Lowell Davidson. His only recording for ESP doesn't sound like anyone else, with a kind of delicacy unusual in "free" pianists of the time. Apparently Ornette recommended him to the label.  I also like Joseph Scianni's duo album with David Izenson on Savoy. The only other recording by him that I know of is the recently issued Don Cherry/Pharoah Sanders 5tet side. Another really distinctive voice.  Any other fans of these two?

Lowell Davidson. His only recording for ESP doesn't sound like anyone else, with a kind of delicacy unusual in "free" pianists of the time. Apparently Ornette recommended him to the label.  I also like Joseph Scianni's duo album with David Izenson on Savoy. The only other recording by him that I know of is the recently issued Don Cherry/Pharoah Sanders 5tet side. Another really distinctive voice.  Any other fans of these two?

Joseph Scianni has recently (in the past 10 - 15 years) recorded for Bob Rusch / Cadence / CIMP. This includes a solo piano recital, NIGHT PEOPLE. I've not heard it, but am intrigued... in part as it wasn't recorded at "The Spirit Room."

Another one: Jack Reilly. Studied with Tristano and Hall Overton; like Denny Zeitlin or Don Friedman or (name your own), a player with a unique approach to modal structures. Dates on Progressive and his own Unichrom label. BLUES-SEAN-GREEN, with Jack Siz and Joe Cocuzzo, is a good introduction to his work.

Has anyone mentioned John Wright? Three (I think) leader dates for Weinstock and that's pretty much it.  I think he just kept playing around Chicago after that.  If you dig the Gene Harris/Ray Bryant/Bobby Timmons et al hyper-bluesy thing, he's great.

I found a CD he did for a Japanese label in the mid-90s and it's fantastic, Wright Changes (he hadn't, and sounds better than ever).

Larry Bluth. Made a number of trio albums on the Zinnia label, and they are all excellent. Really like his off-kilter approach. Also Billy Lester - a student of Sal Mosca's. (Maybe Sal, too?) 

I think Harold Danko, Horace Tapscott, Dave Burrell, Mel Powell, Ellis Larkins, Art Hodes, and Bengt Hallberg fit the under-rated category.

Edited by blind-blake

Joseph Scianni has recently (in the past 10 - 15 years) recorded for Bob Rusch / Cadence / CIMP. This includes a solo piano recital, NIGHT PEOPLE. I've not heard it, but am intrigued... in part as it wasn't recorded at "The Spirit Room."

Another one: Jack Reilly. Studied with Tristano and Hall Overton; like Denny Zeitlin or Don Friedman or (name your own), a player with a unique approach to modal structures. Dates on Progressive and his own Unichrom label. BLUES-SEAN-GREEN, with Jack Siz and Joe Cocuzzo, is a good introduction to his work.

Thanks for the heads up about Scianni's CIMP album.  I must look that up!

Richie Beirach!!! - In my opinion, he's one of the unacknowledged jazz giants of his (or any) generation.

Joanne Brackeen - Another monstrously talented pianist who's under-appreciated, I think.

Ronnie Mathews

Mike Wofford

Joe Bonner

Alan Broadbent

I'd also second the nomination for Stanley Cowell. 

Some other pianists who are (perhaps a bit) more well-known but deserve greater accolades. These guys belong in the PANTHEON. Or at least they're in mine! ;)

Sir Roland Hanna

Martial Solal

Jimmy Rowles

Steve Kuhn

Hampton Hawes

This is my first post.  Richie is AMAZING - I'm the only jazz singer that's ever recorded with him and we have a second record coming out in 4 weeks - the name of it is "Varuna." There are 3 brand new Beirach compositions (w/my lyrics) and you'll find 2 of his songs (Elm and Nightlake) on our first recording "The Duo Session." (recorded 1993)   I had to post because on your list I also recorded with Joe Bonner in the 80's on his "New Beginnings" album!  I had the good fortune of sitting in with Joe Henderson when Joanne Brakeen was playing as well!   All 3 are incredible musicians and certainly deserve more recognition.   Laurie Antonioli

Richie Beirach!!! - In my opinion, he's one of the unacknowledged jazz giants of his (or any) generation.

Joanne Brackeen - Another monstrously talented pianist who's under-appreciated, I think.

Ronnie Mathews

Mike Wofford

Joe Bonner

Alan Broadbent

Some other pianists who are (perhaps a bit) more well-known but deserve greater accolades. These guys belong in the PANTHEON. Or at least they're in mine! ;)

Sir Roland Hanna

Martial Solal

Jimmy Rowles

Steve Kuhn

Hampton Hawes

This is my first post.  Richie is AMAZING - I'm the only jazz singer that's ever recorded with him and we have a second record coming out in 4 weeks - the name of it is "Varuna." There are 3 brand new Beirach compositions (w/my lyrics) and you'll find 2 of his songs (Elm and Nightlake) on our first recording "The Duo Session." (recorded 1993)   I had to post because on your list I also recorded with Joe Bonner in the 80's on his "New Beginnings" album!  I had the good fortune of sitting in with Joe Henderson when Joanne Brakeen was playing as well!   All 3 are incredible musicians and certainly deserve more recognition.   Laurie Antonioli

Laurie, thanks for posting! I have your record with Richie. It's GREAT! :)

Thanks for the heads-up on the new one. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Ronnie Mathews

Mike Wofford

Joe Bonner

Alan Broadbent

Sir Roland Hanna

Martial Solal

Jimmy Rowles

Steve Kuhn

Hampton Hawes

Ronnie Mathews

Mike Wofford

Joe Bonner

Alan Broadbent

Sir Roland Hanna

Martial Solal

Jimmy Rowles

Steve Kuhn

Hampton Hawes

Thank you!  I'd like to a add a few more players.  Fritz Pauer, the Austrian pianist who passed away in 2012, worked with Pony Poindexter when Pony lived in Europe.  Ironically Pony was the first person to take me on the road some 20 years after he'd worked with Fritz. I met Fritz while working at KUG University in Graz, Austria from 2002-2006 and it was a lot of fun to trade stories.   Fritz was Art Farmer's pianist (when he toured Europe) and appears on numerous recordings Art made.  As well he worked with Sheila Jordan, Don Byas, Booker Ervin, Dexter Gordon and Annie Ross.  Countless American jazz musicians used Fritz when in Europe.  He was a beloved person and a wonderful musician. 

Also on the list of often overlooked pianists, one of my favorites:  John Taylor who just passed away.  Ran Blake is another and is still very active.  Another is Tete Montoliu, from Spain. Tete also worked with Pony.  He was another Euro pianist that Americans loved including Dexter, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Archie Shepp and more.  

That's it for now! 

LA