Overlooked pianists

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet another '70s Mingus Band alumnus is Danny Mixon.  He was playing piano with MIngus in the most of 1976.  Mixon is not really overlooked, had a colorful career and still going strong, but it was unfortunate that his work at Mingus Band is not on any legitimate releases.  Mingus Band including Mixon visited Japan in July 1976 and left several (bootleg) live recordings.  Mixon shines on them.

2 hours ago, mhatta said:

Yet another '70s Mingus Band alumnus is Danny Mixon.  He was playing piano with MIngus in the most of 1976.  Mixon is not really overlooked, had a colorful career and still going strong, but it was unfortunate that his work at Mingus Band is not on any legitimate releases.  Mingus Band including Mixon visited Japan in July 1976 and left several (bootleg) live recordings.  Mixon shines on them.

Danny Mixon is on a legitimate Mingus release--on Music for Todo Modo, which is one side of the LP, Cumbia and Jazz Fusion.

Edited by kh1958

Speaking of which, Bob Neloms is yet another Mingus alum and forgotten, overlooked great.  Personally I think he was the best of the bunch, could play anything authentically, like Jaki Byard.  Seems he recorded one leader session, a solo piano recording ("Pretty Music" for India Navigation, 1982), but unfortunately I couldn't find it yet.

On this Dannie Richmond album, Neloms shows what he got, including an impression of Erroll Garner...

Edited by mhatta

3 hours ago, mhatta said:

Speaking of which, Bob Neloms is yet another Mingus alum and forgotten, overlooked great.  Personally I think he was the best of the bunch, could play anything authentically, like Jaki Byard.  Seems he recorded one leader session, a solo piano recording ("Pretty Music" for India Navigation, 1982), but unfortunately I couldn't find it yet.

On this Dannie Richmond album, Neloms shows what he got, including an impression of Erroll Garner...

Agreement on unheralded Bob Neloms - (IMO) his talents are even better served on Dannie Richmond + The Last Mingus Band "Plays Charles Mingus" ( Timeless) from 1981 ....

Charles Bell's "Another Dimension" on Atlantic was among the first LPs I ever owned. I was 14, living in M'Babane, Swaziland where my father was the nation's first US Peace Corps Director. The volunteers there received a "care package" of LPs from Atlantic Records, all mono releases, and one of them gave me the LPs he didn't want, which included two jazz items, this and Leo Wright's "Blues Shout," as he knew I was beginning to be interested in jazz.

I love and cherish those two albums. I have purchased the other Bell that I could find. 

On 11/12/2017 at 2:16 AM, jazzbo said:

Charles Bell's "Another Dimension" on Atlantic was among the first LPs I ever owned. I was 14, living in M'Babane, Swaziland where my father was the nation's first US Peace Corps Director. The volunteers there received a "care package" of LPs from Atlantic Records, all mono releases, and one of them gave me the LPs he didn't want, which included two jazz items, this and Leo Wright's "Blues Shout," as he knew I was beginning to be interested in jazz.

I love and cherish those two albums. I have purchased the other Bell that I could find. 

Just played the Bell.

I'll see if I can find the Wright in my "archives".

12 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Takase and Sato are awesome -- and in the spirit of the thread, I guess I don't find them all that overlooked (same for Masabumi Kikuchi, though he's a bigger name).

I'll also throw out Yosuke Yamashita, Takashi Kako, Hideo Ichikawa, and Shoji Aketagawa. 

Takashi Kako + Kent Carter + Oliver Johnson "TOK Paradox" on JAPO is a good one ....

Edited by soulpope