Overlooked pianists

Hardbopjazz

33 minutes ago, mhatta said:

I recently found that Mike Wofford is an overlooked but great pianist.  This one is little known since it is a live recording in Japan and billed as "The Shelly Manne Trio".  Playing "Nardis" for (the recently deceased at that time) Bill Evans with Manne is a dauntless task...

18 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Fine player. I've got a good number of his albums.

I agree! :tup 

Wofford worked extensively with Manne, and I think they sound great together.  One example that's likely below the radar for many:

R-2191880-1303550214.jpeg.jpg

Scott Joplin: Interpretations '76 (Flying Dutchman)
Ignore the strange cover art and don't expect "ragtime-y" pianism.  Like the title implies, Wofford gives these Joplin works modern readings. Manne is on drums. Good stuff!

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a lesser known or more forgotten pianist the Germany born but in Paris living Siegfried Kessler comes to my mind. I heard him quite often in the 70´s, 80´s and he was fantastic. He became known to a wider audience when he performed with Archie Shepp, and he had it all, from more abstract avantgarde sounds to straight ahead and an incredible talent to play the blues. 
A most memorable concert I heard was when I heard him with Jimmy Witherspoon, Dee Dee Bridgewater. I think Dexter´s bassist David Eubanks was on bass, I forgot who was the drummer, but sure a very good one.....an unforgettable evening. And Kesslers blues styled solos with those fantastic blues singers......wow....

Once famous (stint with Bird, Blue Train, tons of trio stuff from Japanese Alpha, etc.), so not really overlooked, but these days people rarely talk about Kenny Drew.  And also about his son, Drew Jr., too.  I think they should be remembered.

This album is a classic, and possibly one of the best version of "Caravan" Jazz ever produced.

I think Drew Jr. lacked originality a bit, but he was still very good at interpreting other Jazz greats' works.  His rendition of Mingus/Monk tunes is impeccable.

Edited by mhatta

3 hours ago, mhatta said:

Once famous (stint with Bird, Blue Train, tons of trio stuff from Japanese Alpha, etc.), so not really overlooked, but these days people rarely talk about Kenny Drew.  And also about his son, Drew Jr., too.  I think they should be remembered.

This album is a classic, and possibly one of the best version of "Caravan" Jazz ever produced.

I think Drew Jr. lacked originality a bit, but he was still very good at interpreting other Jazz greats' works.  His rendition of Mingus/Monk tunes is impeccable.

I saw Kenny Drew, Jr. playing with the Mingus Big Band a number of times at the Fez/Time Cafe in the '90s. 

11 hours ago, kh1958 said:

I saw Kenny Drew, Jr. playing with the Mingus Big Band a number of times at the Fez/Time Cafe in the '90s. 

Good for you, I've never seen both in person...

Berndt Egerbladh is not well known outside his native Sweden, but a fine pianist.

Mike Wolff, whom I first heard in Cal Tjader's band. This trio album, available from his site, has convinced me: Recorded on one day after they had finished an album with a larger band a day early. He asked his bassist and drummer to stay. 

album-cover-jazz-jazz-jazz-small-195x195

https://www.michaelwolff.com/album/jazz-jazz-jazz/

Edited by mikeweil