Lee Morgan At The Both/And Club June 1970

mrjazzman

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me ask this way.

There are five songs in the George Semper reels labeled with the following titles:

1. Willow Weep For Me

This is the Ann Ronnel composition, correct?

2. Something Like This

This is the Bennie Maupin tune that appears on the Blue Note Lighthouse 3-CD set, correct?

3. See Autumn

This is the Lee Morgan composition we all know as Ceora, correct?

4. The Chief

This is the Harold Mabern composition that appeared on the first Fresh Sound pressing under the incorrect title Meo Felia, correct? The second pressing had the right title. This same composition appears as The Chief on Frank Strozier's What's Goin' On.

5. Meo Felia

What composition is this? If it is actually the Maupin song called Neophilia that appears on the Blue Note Lighthouse set, then the George Semper Archives contain at least one track on neither the Fresh Sound nor Hi Hat CDs. Did Resonance understand this when they passed?

I have not figured out how to listen to this stuff, or I would have figured it out myself. This is for any smart ass who replies 'just listen yourself'.

So. . . this may have been mentioned somewhere. . . but does the Semper family actually have the rights to release this material? If not I can see why labels may pass. . . it may be more expensive to obtain the rights and limiting the profitability of releasing the material. 

12 hours ago, jazzbo said:

So. . . this may have been mentioned somewhere. . . but does the Semper family actually have the rights to release this material? If not I can see why labels may pass. . . it may be more expensive to obtain the rights and limiting the profitability of releasing the material. 

Well I would think ownership and known provenance of the reels confers rights to them, but there are other rights involved. But its no different for Resonance than when they got the Willke tapes and made arrangements to release the Sounds material, and the Wes-Wynton material. Estates must be paid, and if an artist was exclusive to a label at the time I'd think the label or its corporate descendants have to be compensated or sign off on the release.

Honestly I think that its an uphill battle because so much has been released from this tour already. Crazed collectors would be interested but are there enough?

If this were tapes of a different backing group, earlier in the decade, something that made it really stand out as unique ... but as much as I'd like to hear it, in best sound possible, at the end of the day its different performances of the same tunes we've heard elsewhere. That had to play into Resonance's thinking.

Still trying to hear the files (I am confused with all the downloads), anyone actually listened yet who can answer my discographical questions above?

I reread David Weiss' earlier postings. Since we are still not sure the Fresh Sound material is really from the Both/And, I am not sure any of these 5 tracks has been released before. The fact that there is one called 'The Chief' and one called 'Meo Felia' is a tip-off that something is not right. 'The Chief' was mislabeled 'Meo Felia' on the first Fresh Sound pressing. This composition is completely different from the Maupin tune 'Neophilia'. So what composition is the tune labeled 'Meo Felia' on the tape reels? The fact that that is what is written on the tape reel is irrelevant. That person also thought 'Ceora' was called 'See Autumn', an error that is till being propagated 47 years later. SMH.

This could even be one of the unrecorded Lee Morgan songs I found at the Library of Congress, although it is a long shot. I have been trying to answer the same question for all those alleged Lee Morgan Left Bank Jazz Society concerts that may or may not exist for 25 years now, and still no luck.

Bertrand.