Tom Lord Discography as collection database

mikeweil

I've cataloged most of my collection. I find it easy to use. If you add a CD (or another format) your collection all sessions on that CD are added to your collection. Sometimes this does not  work and you have to add that session seperatly to your collection. If a specific issue is missing you can contact Tom Lord and will add it to the database. Added CD's/LP's etc. are coloured green so if you look up a session you see immediately that you have that session.

Right now I'm up to letter "T". Sometimes the same issue is listed in different form under different sessions, some letter prefix is missing, or the like - this causes the problems you mentioned. Or the reissue is listed only below the last of several sessions. All this shows it is not really an interrelational database like BRIAN, but still based on printed layouts like former discographies.

Another problem is that different spellings of musicians' names or nicknames are not merged. His software does not allow to attribute more than one musicians as a session's leader, which caused problems when you look up just the leader sessions  and the item you are looking for is filed under the other leader (e.g. Wes Montgomery's one live session for Verve, filed under Wynton Kelly). 

As long as he has the tracks listed but not the specific issue you have, you can enter it in the fields on the left in the "add" window - when you want to add more tracks from other sessions all you have to enter is the label and number and it will add the release title by itself. But if he does not have the tracks themselves, you have lost. I wonder where he gathers his information.

BRIAN based discographies are much more accurate, but considering the sheer number of releases such a general discography has to cover, one must live with these flaws. 

Edited by mikeweil
typos