John Taylor RIP

RogerF

Virtuoso British pianist John Taylor has died aged 72. He passed away at a concert at which he was performing in France, having suffered a heart attack. His contribution to British (and international) jazz was pivotal. He made numerous recordings, including his debut album Pause and Think Again and contributed to several of Kenny Wheeler's albums. He was also a member of the trio Azimuth  with Wheeler and Norma Winstone. More here: http://www.londonjazznews.com/

RIP John

Edited by RogerF

Sad news ... saw him perform with Miroslav Vitous' Quartet in Frankfurt many years ago, and liked how he really leaned into the music with a lot of energy and dedication, still leaving plenty of space. Great. Will have to play the LP later on. 

Another great one gone ... R.I.P.

This sad news has rendered me speechless. I will really miss him out there on the live scene. What a great player he was - thankful I got to see him quite a few times, from back in the 1980s with Azimuth, then more recently with Wheeler's big band and his own trios as well. The last performance I saw was an intimate solo recital at a festival in Dorset a few years ago at a rural church location in Plush. That one was magical..

The LP of 'Pause and Think Again' will be coming out later today. I think it has just been reissued on CD as well. RIP Mr Taylor and thanks for all the good music. Huge loss for Britiash jazz.

Edited by sidewinder

Such a sad discovery this morning of John Taylor's passing.  I only discovered him ten or so years ago but I've acquired a lot of his music since.  His music became a regular part of my early morning listening.  One of little pleasures in life is waking slowly in front of the stereo with coffee cup in hand listening to music like Taylor's.  Sublime.  I wish I could have seen him perform.

R.I.P. and thanks for the beautiful music.

Been reminiscing today about the many times over the years I've seen John Taylor play live. The first occasion might well have been at Ronnies in the 1983 Gil Evans British Orchestra lineup but it might also have been even earlier than that at Ronnies as he was in the house band for a while. One of the most memorable times in recent years was at Bath when he was due to duet with Kenny Wheeler - Kenny was ill and had to retire last minute but JT fulfilled the gig and played tribute to Kenny with a lovely performance. A great guy by all accounts.

His is various collaborations with John Surman were a standout as well.

Edited by sidewinder