John Taylor RIP

RogerF

His is various collaborations with John Surman were a standout as well.

Yes, one of the most exciting jazz performances I ever saw (and heard) was the 'Four Johns' quartet in the early noughties at Cheltenham - Taylor, Surman, Marshall and honourary John, Chris Laurence. One of those rare occasions when I was just bubbling over with excitement and could hardly keep to my seat. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was saddened even more to read the Guildhall's concert programme for September to December this year which arrived yesterday. It advertised a concert due for November with the Big Band and guest John Taylor. But the booklet was printed prior to JT's untimely passing. It reminds me of just how premature and unexpected was this sad event. There's a brief explanation here on the Guildhall website here:

Guildhall Big Band with John Taylor

p.s. Accurately, the advert describes him as "Jazz legend" - he was and will remain so. His debut album "Pause and Think Again" is being reissued in a 3 box set including albums by Mike Osborne and Howard Riley, celebrating the short-lived British jazz Turtle label. It is being remastered with sleeve notes by Colin "Bathed in Lightning" Harper.

Turtle box set info

Edited by RogerF

Thanks for the heads-up, Roger... that Turtle boxset sounds good. Although I already own the three albums on CD I'll probably get it for the remastered sound and the 56 page booklet. This is top drawer British jazz from the 1970s

What I found interesting was that on the FMR (unofficial) reissue of Pause and Think Again they got the order of tracks 1 and 3 wrong. This (Cherry Red) release is the first official one on CD and J.T. was interviewed for the sleeve notes.

Very sad to see that Jazzwise this month had several mentions of upcoming gigs for JT and also the feature on his recent duet album with Richard Fairhurst.

The Turtle box set will be a 'must have', especially so with the booklet to document it all. I have two of them on vinyl, never picked up the FMRs.

Edited by sidewinder

I have all the FMR CDs of the Turtle albums; had no idea they were bootlegs!?

I'll definitely pick up this box for the book and hopefully better mastering as the FMR CDs sound okay but not great.

Had a chance once to buy a nice copy of the John Taylor LP on Turtle but at the time wasn't feeling the $300 price tag too well...

'Pause and Think Again' is a great album. One of the best British contemporary jazz albums of that era.

Just had a very pleasant afternoon listening to some early John Taylor on electric piano on John Surman 'Way Back When' and Harry Beckett 'Fall Out'..

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

1464694194.jpg

"The newest addition to ECM’s popular Old and New Masters Series is a box set reprising the four albums made by Peter Erskine’s American-British-Swedish trio with John Taylor and Palle Danielsson between 1992 and 1997: You Never Know, As It Is, Time Being and Juni. If its core concept – a piano led by a drummer – was unorthodox, the group was nonetheless influential, and the recordings provide an excellent environment for appreciating the distinctive writing and playing of John Taylor. The British pianist was the Erskine Trio’s primary composer, with the drummer-leader and bassist Danielsson also contributing pieces and the repertoire topped up with tunes by Vince Mendoza and Kenny Wheeler. Of his trio mates Erskine says, "We drew out our most explorative and interesting playing from each other. Without trying to be, we were a truly unique group. I’ve heard nothing like it before or since.”"

I don't have this little box, but I've been enjoying You Never Know & Time Being today. Very nice.

3 hours ago, 7/4 said:

1464694194.jpg

"The newest addition to ECM’s popular Old and New Masters Series is a box set reprising the four albums made by Peter Erskine’s American-British-Swedish trio with John Taylor and Palle Danielsson between 1992 and 1997: You Never Know, As It Is, Time Being and Juni. If its core concept – a piano led by a drummer – was unorthodox, the group was nonetheless influential, and the recordings provide an excellent environment for appreciating the distinctive writing and playing of John Taylor. The British pianist was the Erskine Trio’s primary composer, with the drummer-leader and bassist Danielsson also contributing pieces and the repertoire topped up with tunes by Vince Mendoza and Kenny Wheeler. Of his trio mates Erskine says, "We drew out our most explorative and interesting playing from each other. Without trying to be, we were a truly unique group. I’ve heard nothing like it before or since.”"

I don't have this little box, but I've been enjoying You Never Know & Time Being today. Very nice.

I didn't have these - so, I bought the box. Very nice.

I get why some people have found those Erskine Trio albums forgettable.  There was a time when I would have probably felt the same.  As I have gotten older I prefer listening to what I would call "quiet music."  Music that allows me to wake up slowly.  That was when I started exploring these albums in depth and discovered this music was perfect for waking up.  Both John Taylor and Bobo Stenson figured heavily in that early morning rotation.  Now I listen to these albums at other times as well but they still get called upon to anmounce the beginning of the day at Che Six String.