New Lester Young set from Mosaic Records coming

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#188 just arrived.

FAT booklet. Yay! And odd packaging: a single disc, and two fat boys one with three discs and one with four discs. But I think that was because of the number of tracks to list on the back covers. 

Will begin listening soon.

I haven't received my copy yet but I think I know why it's packaged that way, Lon. The single disc is manufactured by Sony since they own all the material contained on that disc while the seven discs in the two fat boys are manufactured by Universal, the owner of all the rest of the material

2 hours ago, SwingItTrev said:

I’d love to get your initial thoughts.

Just playing 1st disc (the Sony one).   I already had all but six of these cuts and I've got most of the rest of the whole set, but the sound is great, the packaging lovely and the music as beautiful as ever.    What I've read of Loren Shoenberg's notes has added to the pleasure. 

Edited by medjuck

6 hours ago, medjuck said:

Just playing 1st disc (the Sony one).   I already had all but six of these cuts and I've got most of the rest of the whole set, but the sound is great, the packaging lovely and the music as beautiful as ever.    What I've read of Loren Shoenberg's notes has added to the pleasure. 

Shhhhh !!   I'm still trying to catch up with my ever lengthening Mosaic backlist This thread is coming across all Dusty Groove..:D

Edited by sidewinder

On 7/31/2016 at 10:47 PM, Steve Gray said:

I would love to hear your views on the alternative take of "Lady Be Good'.

How does it compare to the issued one, which to my mind is one of the very greatest of all jazz solos.

So far I agree with Loren Schoenberg's comment that the only alternate that might be considered equal  to the original release is "Boogie Woogie".  He presumes that the alternate take of "Lady" is the second take and writes "it sounds as though he (Lester) had already said what he had to say". Not s sure of the order of the takes-- hard to believe that they thought they'd need another one after the one we're all familiar with  but maybe they always did two to have a backup. 

Edited by medjuck

Here's my impressions regarding the Decca sides: there are imo some improvements to the sound from the source cds, but if you are buying the set for improvements of the Decca sides alone I think you'll be a bit disappointed. The Decca tracks that are sourced from non-CD sources do have a certain vividness to them that put them a bit over the others, but the homogeneity of the mastering is quite good from track to track and disc to disc. 

The Una Mae Carlisle and the Sammy Price and the Commodore sides have never sounded better to me on CD. Also Clef, Mercury, Alladin and Philo sides etc. transferred from disc sound excellent.

Edited by jazzbo

On 2 August 2016 at 11:29 PM, jazzbo said:

Here's my impressions regarding the Decca sides: there are imo some improvements to the sound from the source cds, but if you are buying the set for improvements of the Decca sides alone I think you'll be a bit disappointed. The Decca tracks that are sourced from non-CD sources do have a certain vividness to them that put them a bit over the others, but the homogeneity of the mastering is quite good from track to track and disc to disc. 

The Una Mae Carlisle and the Sammy Price and the Commodore sides have never sounded better to me on CD. Also Clef, Mercury, Alladin and Philo sides etc. transferred from disc sound excellent.

Excellent, This is what I was hoping to hear. Mine arrives soon.