New Lester Young set from Mosaic Records coming

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2016/7/31 at 2:47 PM, Steve Gray said:

I would love to hear your views on the alternative take of "Lady Be Good'.

Medjuck's comment aside, nobody has attempted to directly answer this. The released version is one of the classic solos - and an alternate take has surfaced ... no opinions? Q.

On 06/08/2016 at 0:33 PM, Quasimado said:

Medjuck's comment aside, nobody has attempted to directly answer this. The released version is one of the classic solos - and an alternate take has surfaced ... no opinions? Q.

IMHO, Lester's solo on the alternative take of Lady Be Good is less coherent and fluid than the master (takes went unreleased for a reason). He seems less assertive than on the master, although this impression may be due to having listened to the master so many times that I've memorized it. Interestingly, he seems to stick to the same ideas for the bridge, and his playing on the bridge of the second chorus is the bit most similar to the released take.

F 

Edited by Fer Urbina

3 hours ago, Fer Urbina said:

IMHO, Lester's solo on the alternative take of Lady Be Good is less coherent and fluid than the master (takes went unreleased for a reason). He seems les assertive than on the master, although this impression may be due to having listened to the master so many times that I've memorized it. Interestingly, he seems to stick to the same ideas for the bridge, and his playing on the bridge of the second chorus is the bit most similar to the released take.

F 

Thanks for that. I suspected as much, and it seems to fit with Loren Shoenberg's quote. Still, it's Lester at a peak - I've got to hear it!

But then I have so much of this set already! :( Q

Couple of questions:

1) Schoenberg mentions a live Famous Door recording of Blue and Sentimental with a vocal by Helen Humes.  Anyone know if this is available anywhere?

2) On "I'm Fer It Too" from the Dicky Wells December '43 session Freddie Green takes an introductory solo.  Does he solo on any other recordings?  (I know he does at the Goodman Carnegie Hall  concert-- supposedly unwillingly. )

8 hours ago, medjuck said:

2) On "I'm Fer It Too" from the Dicky Wells December '43 session Freddie Green takes an introductory solo.  Does he solo on any other recordings?  (I know he does at the Goodman Carnegie Hall  concert-- supposedly unwillingly. )

He does, most notably on four tracks from the Count Basie/Joe Williams Roulette LP Memories Ad Lib. 

I blogged about this some time ago (here) and also built a Spotify playlist of Freddie Green's solos.

F

9 hours ago, medjuck said:

1) Schoenberg mentions a live Famous Door recording of Blue and Sentimental with a vocal by Helen Humes.  Anyone know if this is available anywhere?

Looks like it's from a Bill Savory acetate: https://jazzlives.wordpress.com/2013/08/28/a-few-beautiful-seconds-of-lester-young-on-clarinet-the-famous-door-1938/

F

I'm knocked out by the sound quality - I've been listening to the Deccas for more than 50 years - from every kind of source but I'm hearing details now that I've never heard before. A drum figure here - a previously unnoticed sax passage there - Also the 'textures' of the soloists' sounds is remarkable and a new experience..  It's the best I've ever heard Herschel Evans who really gains stature on this set.  Loren's notes are excellent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Has anyone compared the Decca tracks to the Basie CDs on the Hep label (Listen...You Shall Hear, Do You Wanna Jump, and Basie Rhythm)? Between those three CDs are all of Basie's Decca sides except for the small groups. 

Pretty sure there's been at least one thread on this. If I remember correctly, the consensus was that the Heps were much better than the Decca GRP discs, though the new Mosaic is, I think, at least as good as the Heps.

gregmo