New Lester Young set from Mosaic Records coming

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm quite confused how this relates to the 4-CD Basie-Young set.  If a substantial amount of that material is repeated, then I will be more than a little disappointed.  Aside from the superior sound, I imagine I do have essentially all this material already and am just not sure I am in the market for this.  As great as it surely is.

I honestly can't think of anything that would tempt me more (within the realm of "I have most of the material already, but want the rest".)  Comprehensive Pres at his peak (IMO).  The three-CD Basie Decca set is a treasure within my collection.

Edited by BeBop

site won't load, please someone tell me! :excited:

okay, just loaded, after hitting F5 at least twenty times ... mostly duplication here as well of course, but I'll quite certainly go for it!

what Goodman sides are there, other than a jam w/Teddy Wilson and the studio jam with Charlie Christian that was on the Pres/Basie set?

Thanks, Ghost! One question, though: I guess that they will include the Keynotes with Johnny Guarnieri too? Do you know?

By the look of it, it's going to be all Lester Young under Universal's umbrella plus the three alternates from the Jones-Smith Inc. session (hence the no-duplication with regard to the previous Lester Young Mosaic). This would make this set the first to combine recordings from different vaults (Universal/Sony) in many years, no?

For me it's buy first, sort out the duplication later.

F

Edited by Fer Urbina

okay, just loaded, after hitting F5 at least twenty times ... mostly duplication here as well of course, but I'll quite certainly go for it!

what Goodman sides are there, other than a jam w/Teddy Wilson and the studio jam with Charlie Christian that was on the Pres/Basie set?

There is Ti-Pi-Tin from March, 1938 - a studio Benny Goodman track with Lester sitting in and soloing beautifully.  Freddie Green and Walter Page are also there.   

I honestly can't think of anything that would tempt me more (within the realm of "I have most of the material already, but want the rest".)  Comprehensive Pres at his peak (IMO).  The three-CD Basie Decca set is a treasure within my collection.

If you have been listening to the three-disc Basie Decca set, you are in for a treat.  The sound quality on the HEP releases of that music is SO much better, and I am sure that Mosaic will work at that level. 

There is Ti-Pi-Tin from March, 1938 - a studio Benny Goodman track with Lester sitting in and soloing beautifully.  Freddie Green and Walter Page are also there.   

If you have been listening to the three-disc Basie Decca set, you are in for a treat.  The sound quality on the HEP releases of that music is SO much better, and I am sure that Mosaic will work at that level. 

Thanks - not sure if I know "Ti-Pi-Tin", but I guess I have it in some form - and that exactly (meaning some sessions only on CDRs received from friends) is the reason I'm interested. And of course I am hoping for an sonic upgrade of the Decca material indeed!

I listened to the first of the Hep discs last night. The sound of the Decca sides is indeed very good but not quite on the level of the quality Mosaic have achieved on the Lunceford or Fitzgerald sets. The 1936 session good be a lot better I'd imagine it Mosiac have their hands on decent sources. Speaking of sources the recent Condon/Freeman has generally excellent  sound ( few exceptions) but I was alarmed to see how many tracks were sourced from the earlier Mosaic LPs or CD issues. Mosaic undoubtedly did their best but it does make you wonder how well the source materials are being looked after.

Little to none, it seems. Counting existing sets of this material (none of the discs filled to the brim though):

- Basie on Decca: 3 CD
- Pres on Aladdin: 2 CD
- Pres on Commodore: roughly 1 CD
- Pres on Keynote: 1 CD
- Pres' session with Nat Cole for Verve: half a CD

That leaves a disc for the other bits mentioned, plus some 15-20 minutes per disc to fill everything to the brim, if they're inclined to do so (usually they're not).

Wow, a LOT of duplication for me too.  I guess I'll probably get it.  Like Jim, I guess I clear some off to replace with these.  I'll be interested in the sound on the Basie Deccas.  I have the Heps, and the sound on those is really good.

gregmo

Thanks, Ghost! One question, though: I guess that they will include the Keynotes with Johnny Guarnieri too? Do you know?

F

Lester recorded twice with Guarnieri. One session under Lester's name for Keynote so that will be included. The other is under Johnny's name but for Savoy. There is no mention of Savoy. My guess is that the 2 Cd's worth of Savoy recordings won't be included.

I hope they include the two instrumental takes takes of 'I've found a new baby' from the June 1st, 1937 Teddy Wilson session. And also the Commodore/Sony Kansas City Five session. It has neither Pres or Basie. But with Buck Clayton, Eddie Durham, Freddie Green, Walter Page and Jo Jones is it a Basie-ite session and I wouldn't know in what other set it would fit.