New Lester Young set from Mosaic Records coming

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, crisp said:

Thanks -- preordered.

I think this is my first Mosaic preorder since the Bing Crosby, or as Pres would say, "policeman".

I think Pres would use the phrase to "Bing and Bob" to refer to policemen.  The reference to Bing (Crosby) and his brother was implicit rather than explicit.

Definitely preordered this one, though this will be at least the third time for me for the Basie Deccas on cd.  I think this is the first time Mosaic has managed to combine Universal-owned and Sony-owned recordings in one set, isn't it?

So, if I have the other Mosaic set, the Complete Savoy set and the Complete Verve set, will this pretty well complete Prez's studio recordings?  I'm not counting the live things.

gregmo

1 hour ago, gmonahan said:

Definitely preordered this one, though this will be at least the third time for me for the Basie Deccas on cd.  I think this is the first time Mosaic has managed to combine Universal-owned and Sony-owned recordings in one set, isn't it?

So, if I have the other Mosaic set, the Complete Savoy set and the Complete Verve set, will this pretty well complete Prez's studio recordings?  I'm not counting the live things.

gregmo

Savoy material and of course the studio sessions with Lady Day.

On 13 April 2016 at 1:37 PM, jazztrain said:

I think Pres would use the phrase to "Bing and Bob" to refer to policemen.  The reference to Bing (Crosby) and his brother was implicit rather than explicit.

Not according to the glossary in the booklet to the Verve set.

1 hour ago, crisp said:

Not according to the glossary in the booklet to the Verve set.

There's this from a Whitney Balliett interview of Jimmy Rowles.  It appears on page 301 of his collection "American Musicians II" and probably appeared elsewhere earlier.

Oh well.  The clip I tried to paste in wasn't accepted.  I'll have to type it...

"Lester was the coolest man I ever met.  He had his own language.  He'd turn to me on the bandstand and say, 'Startled doe.  Two o'clock,' which meant if you looked into the audience at where two o'clock was you'd see this pretty chick with big eyes.  'Bob Crosby's in the house' meant a cop had just come in, and 'Bing and Bob' meant the fuzz were all over the place."

Edited by jazztrain
manually typing quote

On 4/13/2016 at 5:37 AM, jazztrain said:

Huh -- all this time I just assumed it was a reference to Bing and Bob Hope because of their association together in the "Road" movies.

Looks and sounds great from the samples!

In the notes, Mosaic says that they couldn't present the post-Basie recordings in chronological order for contractual reasons.  What is that all about?  What kind of a contract would prevent them from putting the music in chronological order? 

38 minutes ago, John L said:

In the notes, Mosaic says that they couldn't present the post-Basie recordings in chronological order for contractual reasons.  What is that all about?  What kind of a contract would prevent them from putting the music in chronological order? 

Universal and Sony are keeping their material separate.  If you'll look at the bottom of the discography, this appears (and there's similar language in every Mosaic set):

This compilation ©2016 Mosaic Records L.L.C., 425 Fairfield Ave, Suite 421, Stamford, CT 06902. All rights reserved. Phone: 203-327-7111/Fax 203-323-3526/e-mail: info@mosaicrecords.com. Web site: www.mosaicrecords.com.

This compilation (P) 2016 Sony Music Entertainment / Manufactured for Mosaic Records L.L.C. by Sony Music Entertainment / 25 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10010 / “Columbia” and [walking eye logo bug] Reg. U.S. Pat. & Tm. Off. Marca Registrada / WARNING: All rights reserved. / Unauthorized duplication is a violation of applicable laws. / 88875112072

This compilation (p) ©2016 Geffen Records. Manufactured by Universal Music Enterprises, a Division of UMG Recordings, Inc. 2220 Colorado Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90404. Warning: All rights reserved. Unauthorized duplication is a violation of applicable laws. / B0022311-02      00602547097484

"Manufactured for Mosaic...by Sony..." "Manufactured by Universal..."  It might just be that Sony and Universal actually press the discs containing their material, and Mosaic assembles the sets.

Still curious.  It would seem to concern disc 7 that puts the 1944 Verve session after the first Aladdin sessions from 1945-1946.  So the sessions in question are on the same disc, and one would think that they could have just reversed the order of presentation.   Anyway....:)

On 4/13/2016 at 4:18 PM, medjuck said:

Savoy material and of course the studio sessions with Lady Day.

I mentioned the Savoy material, so if I have that set, the Verves, the Mosaics and the Lady Day set, I guess that would be it for studio material?  i have the CP records stuff, but that's all live, I think.

gregmo

5 hours ago, gmonahan said:

I mentioned the Savoy material, so if I have that set, the Verves, the Mosaics and the Lady Day set, I guess that would be it for studio material?  i have the CP records stuff, but that's all live, I think.

gregmo

Almost.  As we discussed earlier in this thread, Pres also recorded a few things in the studio for Jubilee as a leader and with Basie.   

On 4/16/2016 at 8:02 PM, John L said:

Almost.  As we discussed earlier in this thread, Pres also recorded a few things in the studio for Jubilee as a leader and with Basie.   

Sigh.  Proof--as if proof were needed--that my mind is going.  *I* asked about the Jubilee sessions earlier in this thread!

gregmo