Professor Monk?

kenny weir

I know there's Thelonious Monk fans here.

Are there Professor Longhair fans as well?

Are there fans of both?

I've been playing heaps of Monk lately, while 'Fess is never far from my thoughts if not my sound system.

These two piano masters seem to have quite a lot in common - particularly the fact that late in their careers, and enjoying worldwide acclaim and fame, both mostly stuck to a tried and true repertoire they had first recorded many years before.

And they're both dazzling individualists who are/were nevertheless lavishly pickled in their respective traditions.

Speaking of which, does anybody have a great red beans and rice recipe? My wife has bought a ham hock and I'm planning on cooking that sucker up this weekend. Been so long, I've forgotten how.

Along with one James Carroll Booker III, an everlasting presence on the N'awlins music scene. Both pianists had amazing technique and a unique sense of swing. I have heard Booker do things with On The Sunny Side that nobody else has done. Tipitina will always give me goose-bumps.

And when you hear 'Fess on that special Tuesday morning with a drink in your hand and you haven't even had a bite to eat..........

For Red Beans and Rice, it all depends on how you like 'em. I assume you will be using dry beans?

Edited by shrugs

Thanks y'all.

Here is what I do. Soak the beans overight in a bowl with the beans covered with water by an inch or so.

Then when you get ready to cook them, dump the water and pick through them to make sure there isn't anything but beans. Add them to a large pot with 8 cups of water and add:

1 large chopped onion

2 bay leaves

1 tbs chopped celery

3 garlic toes( I use a press)

meat

salt to taste

black and red pepper to taste

tabasco to taste

Boil and then simmer 2 hours or until tender. If you want them to cook quicker, let them boil a litle bit longer.

Some people rinse and sort the beans and then soak all the veggies with the beans overnight and use that water to cook them in. Some add red wine while soaking. And the old trick to getting them thick is to mash them with a potato masher. I have tried it but prefer to just cook them a bit slower and longer.

And whatever you do, don't forget the french bread!!!!!!

The best meals I have had in New Orleans always produce a lot of bread crumbs on the table at the end.

Edited by shrugs

• 4 weeks later...