Overlooked Saxophonists

Dan Gould

Since 'pianists' was a popular topic what about saxophonists?

I thought about this one after listening to Rickey Woodard's latest, Pineapple Delight.  It's a winner from start to finish but I think Rickey is very underappreciated.  I got it from Eastwind Imports and they still have it available for only $7:

http://www.eastwindimport.com/default.asp?categoryname=Woodard%2C+Rickey

it's also available from CDBaby

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/rickeywoodard5

Who else is overlooked?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Juhani Aaltonen, especially for his recent work on TUM

Good call. I recently picked up Arild Andersen's ECM box that collects his his 1970's quartet albums.  Aaltonen is on a couple of them, and he really impressed me.  I'll have to check out those more recent TUM recordings. Is there a particular one that you've enjoyed most?

Another Ricky comes to mind, Ricky Ford. 

Yeah! American-African Blues is one of my favorite records!!! :tup

How about Pete Christlieb?

Edited by HutchFan

Good call. I recently picked up Arild Andersen's ECM box that collects his his 1970's quartet albums.  Aaltonen is on a couple of them, and he really impressed me.  I'll have to check out those more recent TUM recordings. Is there a particular one that you've enjoyed most?

His quartet recording 'Conclusions' is excellent as is the sextet 'To Future Memories'. Both on TUM

His quartet recording 'Conclusions' is excellent as is the sextet 'To Future Memories'. Both on TUM

Thanks!  I'll check 'em out.

No, not Pete Christlieb.

No, not Pete Christlieb.

???  You don't think he's overlooked? Or you just don't like his playing? ???

No, not Pete Christlieb.

I think he's NOT overlooked. And I like his playing!!!

Overlooked:

Sil Austin
Red Prysock

No, not Pete Christlieb.

I think he's NOT overlooked. And I like his playing!!!

Oh. O.K.

I guess I think of him as overlooked since he's always released his records on small, indie labels -- except for the one he made with Warne Marsh on Warner Brothers back in the 70s. ...But I'm glad you think he's NOT overlooked; he deserves to be well-known.

:)

Recently listened to Gary Bias' Nimbus West date EAST 10. A nice reminder of what is powerful and distinctive about his playing, especially on alto. Shades of Arthur Blythe or even Noah Howard (Bias isn't afraid to throw down with some vibrato), but his rhythmic feel or flow is rather different... the word "buoyant" comes to mind... anyway,a record worth hearing, as is his sideman appearance with Billy Higgins (MR. BILLY HIGGINS, reissued by Evidence).

Jimmy Vass... some memorable mid-70's work with Andrew Hill, Rashied Ali and Muhal Richard Abrams, then mostly silence... dude could play, though.

Among the more recent crop of players, I'd single out Stephen Riley for more attention. Tenor, mostly, and soprano. I think he's recorded almost exclusively for Steeplechase. Definitely a Shorter-inspired player, but, like Mark Turner, there's some Warne Marsh in his approach... and maybe even a little Getz (not a common influence, at least to these ears). If you like your tenors dry, give him a listen.

To be really undeservedly overlooked you have to be very good and playing somewhere like the UK, so I'm nominating:

Peter King

Gilad Atzmon

Alan Barnes

So pleased Greg Abate got a mention. Probably spends too much time in the UK to be fully recognized. <_<

Christlieb is a great player, but not overlooked.

As for Lennie Niehaus, he's a classic giant of the music

Edited by BillF