Underrated Mosaic sets

Can I also suggest the Four Freshmen?  :unsure:

Do we actually have someone who likes this set? ;)

I'm usually into this kind of music but I find the Freshmen hard to take at length. The interaction of the voices is not as pleasing to me as it is in, say, the Hi-Los. That upper register is a bit harsh. However, I listen to all my music through a media centre these days and when the odd FF track pops up it can be very pleasing.

It doesn't surprise me that Kenton championed them -- he seemed to like music that tended towards the grating, even though it could be quite enjoyable. 

Complete Edmund Hall / James P. Johnson / Sidney De Paris / Vic Dickenson Blue Note Recordings. Was trying for months to sell it on EBay for as low as $49 but there were no takers. I started listening to it again recently, and am really glad it didn't sell. I finally saw the light. A lot of it is just tremendous. 

Just noticed one one currently selling for $60 on eBay 

Edited by blind-blake

Gerald Wilson

Definitely.........and by association, the Carmell Jones Select.

Yes! The Gerald Wilson set is definitely one of my favorite Mosaics. I listen to it often -- particularly discs 1 & 2.

I didn't know this set is underrated. Certainly not by me. I love this set also particulary discs 1 & 2. Latino is one of my favorite tracks of all time.

• 4 years later...

The Horace Parlan set (as I’m revisiting it yet again).  Perhaps not “underrated,” but maybe even better than it’s given credit for? (Which is the same thing, I guess—although “underrated” usually carries a connotation of being overlooked.)

Edited by ghost of miles

I didn't know that the Oliver Nelson set was under-rated. It took some flak? Anyway, nothing to apologize for there. It is superb material, and it's a set that one might not have thought to issue. The idea is excellent. It is easy to take Oliver for granted: "arranged by Oliver Nelson" is seen often. He had access to the best New York studio musicians and some, such as Danny Bank and Phil Woods, could be described as being in the Oliver Nelson Orchestra. 

A spin of CD1 from that set ought to drive away any opposition.

Edited by Shrdlu