Underrated Mosaic sets

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3.8.2015 at 1:08 PM, crisp said:

Re:The Four Freshmen

I'm usually into this kind of music but I find the Freshmen hard to take at length. The interaction of the voices is not as pleasing to me as it is in, say, the Hi-Los. That upper register is a bit harsh. However, I listen to all my music through a media centre these days and when the odd FF track pops up it can be very pleasing.

It doesn't surprise me that Kenton championed them -- he seemed to like music that tended towards the grating, even though it could be quite enjoyable. 

I like them all the way from the first to the last LP + the additional material on CD's. Its the lonngest  performing vocal group on the scene with many changes after the founding members are gone but still going strong. How many  high praised vocal groups  are vanished from the scene?

Your pers. taste respected but there are fans who have different preferences

;-]]

Over the years I’ve listened to a sampling of the Four Freshmen and they’re better in small doses, in my opinion. However, I do realize they have a lot of fans. Interestingly, they were a big influence on The Beach Boys. See this conversation with Brian Wilson. Quite interesting.

Brian Wilson talks Pet Sounds, Chuck Berry, Four Freshmen, exotica and more

On 11/01/2020 at 1:24 PM, jazzcorner said:

I like them all the way from the first to the last LP + the additional material on CD's. Its the lonngest  performing vocal group on the scene with many changes after the founding members are gone but still going strong. How many  high praised vocal groups  are vanished from the scene?

Your pers. taste respected but there are fans who have different preferences

;-]]

Well, yeah, but I don't consider longevity or general popularity when deciding how to respond to an artist -- who does?

In any case what I said here five years ago wasn't a denunciation by any means.

2 hours ago, crisp said:

Well, yeah, but I don't consider longevity or general popularity when deciding how to respond to an artist -- who does?

In any case what I said here five years ago wasn't a denunciation by any means.

Accepted. I' m  one of those "hard core FF fans" and can listen to them every day.

Here are some of their later issues on vinyl.37653393ik.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
text