Cilla Black, R.I.P.

mjzee

Born Priscilla White in Liverpool, Black changed her name to launch a singing career with hits such as Anyone Who Had a Heart and You're My World.

Her career focus shifted to television in 1968, when she was given her own BBC One primetime series, and she went on to host a number of shows for ITV.

Black's journey to stardom began at Liverpool's famous Cavern Club, where she started work as a part-time cloakroom attendant.

It was there she met her husband-to-be Bobby Willis and went on to perform alongside such acts as The Beatles and Gerry and the Pacemakers.

She was soon brought to the attention of manager Brian Epstein and released her first single, Love of the Loved, in September 1963.

The following year she released the ballads You're My World and Anyone Who Had a Heart, both of which went to number one.

BBC News

Mirror

25 or so years ago, I rented a VHS of the English TV show Ready Steady Go.  Featured were clips of Cilla Black and Lulu.  Both lip-synced.

Cilla could not have been more stiff.  But then came the live interview, and she was very perky and cheery.

Lulu, on the other hand, was terrific performing, but when it came time for the interview, she did not have much of a personality.

Fast forward to about 2000, and I learn from seeing a cover of OK Magazine that Cilla had been for many years a television hostess.  My first thought was that that was quite appropriate because she had handled her interview so well in 1964.

RIP.

I remember finally getting to see Alfie on VHS and being pissed as hell when the movie came to an end and instead of more Sonny Rollins (or even Dionne Warwick) there was some Cilla Black, I mean, Cilla Black? WTF?

And even still, yeah, that, but this is some of the cooler footage I've seen on YouTube in a while, and oh, to have something simular for any Bacharach/Dionne session.

She made some very accomplished and enjoyable British Invasion-era singles.  Made good records of some great songs. Another name not to sleep on from the same era was Petula Clark, who recorded some GREAT singles, even some of the ones that were semi-flops in the USA ("Who Am I", "Round Every Corner".).   Black was an icon of a wonderful era, brought joy to many.  RIP.