Art Pepper and Hampton Hawes - Repo!, vol. 2

GA Russell

Laurie Pepper announced Friday her new release of The Late Show - Art Pepper, Hampton Hawes, Joe Mondragon and Larry Bunker recorded live at The Surf Club 2/12/52.

$4.50 for the download.

http://artpepper.bandcamp.com/album/repo-vol-2-reclaimed-art-pepper

You will note that Laurie plans to release next spring a CD of Art previously unreleased, recorded live with Warne Marsh.

• 2 weeks later...

the reason i ask is that Ms. Pepper's recoding-release activities have been, largely and correctly, in response to her sense that a lot of people were stealing material from Art; so I would hate to see her act in ways that are contrary to her own beliefs.

Agreed.

As far as I'm aware, she only provided some details about the live recording with Warne Marsh (where his heirs were involved in clearing the recording for release - alas download only as well, but well worth it).

Though the other point (I think she told some of that story about the Tampa album?) is: even if there's legal stuff around and even if she might be infringing it: did the label behave correctly, pay royalties etc? As far as the Tampa album goes, it seems the answer is no. So where does that leave us? At the point of giving up and not releasing anything anymore because you can't get it right once it's (or you'd) been wronged? And what about other sidemen and their heirs (I'm weary of heirs anyway, I think in general that 50 year thing in place over here is perfectly sound -- wife and kids, alright, certainly, but all others, no thank you, go and earn your living please). Assuming though sidemen were agreed a one-off fee at the session and no further rights/royalties, that shouldn't be much of an issue?