Tomeka Reid profile in Chicago Magazine

Tomeka Reid will also be featured with the aacm large ensemble in the millenium park this month

http://www.cityofchicago.org/content/dam/city/depts/dca/Millennium%20Park/GBME800.jpg

Thursday, August 20, 2015Great Black Music Ensemble

AACM Chicago presents Great Black Music Ensemble: Move: An Afrofuturistic Ijó

In celebration of the Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians (AACM) 50th anniversary, the Chicago organization’s flagship big band presents an ambitious three-part opus examining its own rich history, “ancient to the future.” The evening will feature three sections, each written by a commissioned member of the AACM – representing the founding period with trumpeter Wadada Leo Smith, the middle period with reedist Mwata Bowden and the contemporary period with cellist Tomeka Reid. Each part will integrate choreography from three Chicago dance groups: the Ayodele Dance and Drum Corp, Deeply Rooted Dance Company and Kings Eye View. The work concludes with a video component featuring TK, the electronic musician working with the Great Black Music Ensemble in the third section, offering a visual history of the AACM.

What's the title, Clifford? Her website doesn't have anything more current than 2013

Tomeka Reid Quartet on Thirsty Ear. Maybe out this fall? I have a review copy and it's very strong. Working band is as above.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on that one. Good to hear Thirsty Ear's still about too

What's the title, Clifford? Her website doesn't have anything more current than 2013

I'd like to hear more of her. What do folk suggest beyond her work with Nicole Mitchell and Mike Reed?

Check out, if you can, her quartet and the Hear In Now trio - there either are or surely will be CDs. And Roscoe Mitchell's "Celebrating Fred Anderson."

I'd like to hear more of her. What do folk suggest beyond her work with Nicole Mitchell and Mike Reed?

I recommend her recent work with Roscoe Mitchell. :-)

I certainly shall when I can track down a half-affordable copy this side of the Atlantic :-)

edit to add: ordered it from Dusty G and will take US postage costs and customs on the chin. It better be good

Edited by mjazzg

^ Agreed with you on H & F to an extent; maybe they know one another too well at this point? I like the Thirsty Ear disc quite a bit, though. It's well-recorded and the choice of tunes is good. They start off with Dolphy's "17 West," and Reid storms on this one. It's clearly her record throughout. 

I've heard some very good Jeff Parker but I've also heard a number of things that didn't sit well and were a little too 'gauzy' for my tastes. That might actually be majority and I am not sure Reid's music would benefit from that approach. Rosaly is strong, inventive, and fun to watch live - I'm not sure if he's been captured on record as well as I've seen him play, though.

I'm excited to know that the Tomeka Reid Quartet with Mary Halvorson are playing in Cleveland (at Mahall's, the same place where Frode Gjerstad and Bobby Bradford played last winter) on Friday, August 28th, 9:00 PM. Also Ken Vandermark/Paal Nilssen-Love Duo, Oblique Orchestra are playing on September 2 at the Beachland Ballroom. It seems like there are a few more venues opening up throughout the Cleveland area making it a convenient place to play when groups travel from Chicago to the East Coast. Good to see.

I'll check it but I'll admit to being a bit unenthusiastic about the band.  What's wrong with Jeff Parker & Frank Rosaly or Chad Taylor...?  Kidding aside, I like Halvorson and Fujiwara in most contexts but together they seem to go on autopilot more often than not.

I can't disagree with you more. I've not seen Halvorson or Fujiwara on "autopilot" in concert and I've seen each of them a bunch of times. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...