NBA 2015 - 16

uli

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

My prediction since the Heat just blew out the Hornets to win that series:  Whether the Heat face the Raptors or the Pacers, the Heat will win to face the Cavaliers in the Eastern finals. The Heat, who have the Cavs number, will win the Eastern championship 4-1. The only chance the Cavs have to repeat as Eastern conference champions is if the Heat unexpectedly get beat in their next series. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's definitely last team standing with Heat vs. Raptors.  I'm surprisingly indifferent to the whole thing, since they are both so banged up that the Cavs will have no problem getting past either of them.  While the Raptors have finally become an above average team, I have severe doubts about the coach and think they really will need to replace him to genuinely move to the next level and remain there consistently.

Completely flabbergasted that the Thunder beat the Spurs 4-1.  Like many, I did not see that coming!

This year I could definitely have used a time machine to place some bets on these crazy finals.  Thunder up 3-1.  No way would I believe that!  I wouldn't have believed the Raptors would tie the Cavs either.  I suspect the Cavs will still move on, though maybe it will take all 7 games.  It's looking like Golden State is completely rattled, and I am having a lot of trouble believing they will prevail.

Anyway, with said time machine, I'd also like to lay out some money on Leicester City and maybe the Republican nomination race as well.

On 5/25/2016 at 7:56 PM, ejp626 said:

This year I could definitely have used a time machine to place some bets on these crazy finals.  Thunder up 3-1.  No way would I believe that!  I wouldn't have believed the Raptors would tie the Cavs either.  I suspect the Cavs will still move on, though maybe it will take all 7 games.  It's looking like Golden State is completely rattled, and I am having a lot of trouble believing they will prevail.

Anyway, with said time machine, I'd also like to lay out some money on Leicester City and maybe the Republican nomination race as well.

I had a fun conversation with one of my work colleagues when the Warriors were trailing 3-1 about whether the Thunder had significantly underachieved in the regular season*** or whether the Ws had experienced unusually bad luck during this series.  (Also probably that Curry was still sub-par post-injury.)  My colleague was leaning toward the former explanation, I thought the latter explanation was pretty important.

My general opinion is that in sports (as in many other facets of human life) people tend to overweight the significance of recent unusual events.  FWIW, if the 4-3 series outcome is an accurate reflection of the probability of Ws winning any given game, the probability of the Thunder going 3-1 in any given 4 game stretch is nearly equal to the probability of the Warriors going 3-0.  Both are ~18%, i.e. unlikely but far from impossible outcomes.

The Cavs were in trouble when the Warriors came back from 3 - 1 to win the series vs OKC. Cavs have no answer for former Cavalier Sean Livingston (20 points off the bench). Losing to the Warriors on a night when Curry and Thompson could only combine for 20 points means odds of a sweep are high. 

5 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

I don't think the Cavs are even the 2nd best team in the NBA. 

Warriors, then Spurs edging out OKC (who absolutely got hot at the right time) for 2nd, then the Cavs, 4th best.

Fivethirtyeight had a good article on this -  Cavs were 4th best this season.  Though they were the best "4th best" of all time.