New John Scofield Joe Lovano collaboration on Impulse! - Past Present

erwbol

Sco had two terrific releases on Arista/Novus (Bar Talk and Who's Who) that would easily fit on one CD.  I hope BGO (which is currently reissuing Steve Khan titles that were also on Arista/Novus) would consider.

I'm a fan of Bar Talk as well - took me forever to find it on CD.  I've had the vinyl for a while.  Sco signed the cd for me (and East Meets West, his first solo album, at a different show).

fwRsZ8u.jpg

Edited by Aggie87

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sco sat in with The Roots on the Tonight Show last night.  Was nice to see him get some publicity.  I think the last time he was on a talk show was when he went on Leno and did a song from his Ray Charles tribute with John Mayer (which was probably more likely a result of wanting Mayer on the show at the time, I'd guess).  At any rate, way to go John!  Always nice to see jazz musicians on tv!

Black-Simon-and-Garfunkel-Sing-I-Cant-Fe

Edited by Aggie87

• 1 month later...
On 14 Aug 2015 10:14:26, JohnS said:

I've not bought any Sco lately but I'm  a fan of the Sco/Lovano Blue Notes.  I cant really see this one capturing the essence of the 90's band.

I saw Scofield and Lovano at the Bimhuis tonight. The 10 song set list was made up of compositions from the new album and three Lovano compositions (Cymbalism, Ettenro, Full Sun (new?)). The material from the 90s BN albums was definitely not missed, but they did do Chariots from Meant To Be as a second encore.

To me this concert did capture the essence of what is great about recordings like the Live in Montreal DVD and the Quartet Plays Live bootleg on Jazz Door.

On 14 Aug 2015 10:49:03, Head Man said:

I'm with you here, John.

Last time I saw Lovano live he was awful. Not sure whether it was just a bad night or whether he's lost his mojo but I'll take a bit of convincing to buy anything new by him.

Lovano was terrific tonight, as were Scofield and Bill Stewart. I'm definetly going to see Lovano again in March with his own quartet.

8 hours ago, erwbol said:

I saw Scofield and Lovano at the Bimhuis tonight. The 10 song set list was made up of compositions from the new album and three Lovano compositions (Cymbalism, Ettenro, Full Sun (new?)). The material from the 90s BN albums was definitely not missed, but they did do Chariots from Meant To Be as a second encore.

To me this concert did capture the essence of what is great about recordings like the Live in Montreal DVD and the Quartet Plays Live bootleg on Jazz Door.

Lovano was terrific tonight, as were Scofield and Bill Stewart. I'm definetly going to see Lovano again in March with his own quartet.

Good to know erwbol. I still haven't invested in Past Present.  The Jazz Door bootleg really catches the 90s band as I remember it..

• 5 months later...