Handel Hut

MomsMobley

because, happily, the enthusiasm is there & because the what are you listening to thread is where good dialogue goes to die...

previous Handel hootenannies include

solo keyboard

best answer = Ludger Remy on CPO, complemented by Siegbert Rampe on MDG

concerti grossi (for conte condoli) op. 6

best answer = Martin Gester cond. BIS, complemented by whatever, I think Pinnock better than Hogwood, Harnoncourt better in organ concertos w/ Tachezi

favorite Messiah

best answer = Cannonball Adderly, Messiaen Saint Francois D'Assise &, I dunno... Maybe Christie or Hogwood. ALL the pre-HIP ones are insufferable on x # of levels so unless you want/need to be a historically informed listener... But all the HIP performances have "issues" also and-- this will be even bigger problem with the operas-- while I used to indulge countertenors... Most are tolerable at best, many worse than that esp. the goddamn English hooters... AND it must be said that despite Handel's adopted English, it's QUITE questionable whether the mid-late 20th c. English choral tradition is best prepared to record Handel oratorios... It's a shame really. Gardiner was probably the best but surely not the best possible, some Hogwood estimable too, if usually lacking meat and sweat. (And not to blame only the English: all Nicholas McGegan-- an American-- Handel recordings are mostly awful.)

Alcina, Alan Curtis, his recording for DG very good...

Alcina, Andrea Marcon cond. Freiburger Barock, w/ Patricia Petibon (JSngry's Lulu!) is excellent

Edited by MomsMobley

Heita!

The Remy disc of the 1720 suites is excellent indeed! What do you think of the recording Eva Maria Pollerus has made of the 1736 Muffat edition (including embellishments by one of Händel's contemporaries and competitors) of them?

Just starting to check out some more of Händel's chamber music, as you've certainly noticed. Will get the Christie disc of violin sonatas eventually, to complement the Manze/Egarr one (which I enjoyed on first - and so far only - listen).

Also have this one on the way:

91PsKWInYiL._SL500_.jpg

Handel Harpsichord Suites — Scott Ross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjfL04JFw4U

Concerto Grossi Op. 6 and 3— Harnoncourt (Teldec). Not always immaculately played but balls to the wall; the only recording I know that gets the crucial rhetorical aspect of the music.

Messiah — Mackerras

Edited by Larry Kart

I should add, btw, that I don't consider "Messiah" even among Handel's Top 10 most interesting oratorios but since the subject came up... Which is also to say nobody who doesn't like or doesn't care about "Messiah" & its mostly odious performing, recording tradition (there are exceptions) shouldn't let that inhibit their Handelian tumescence.

Jacobs cond. Belshazzar

Neumann cond. Susanna

Edited by MomsMobley

The thing about the Messiah is that it's pretty much a one off -- a living sacred tableau or frieze -- while most of the best oratorios, including the two Moms linked to above, are pretty close to operas, works of intense, story-telling drama in which key characters are tested/evolve/express their sorrows and passions. The Messiah has none of that, though what it does have is glorious.

Hah, Chuck-- I'm hardcore Delian so certainly a Beecham fan & while I can still enjoy his Haydn... that Messiah always struck me as BIG but not vulgar, vivacious enough... let it rip, TB. And of course we couldn't love Handel w/o some modern performances along the way-- Mackerras certainly laudable, also Decca-era Marriner... It's certainly not my first choice but ASMF then rises well above much "NPR in the bookstore"-style pap...

Richard Egarr is a fine Handelian, forgot to mention

• 2 weeks later...

Rosemary Joshua & Sarah Connolly, from a duo record (Chandos) Chaconne with four "boobies" on the cover, one being pleasantly pinched or teased--

http://www.amazon.com/Handel-Duets-Rosemary-Joshua/dp/B003627OLM

Harry Bicket cond I might prefer a smidgen more oomph at moments but this isn't bad any means

Rosemary Joshuua throbbing Partenope, Curnyn a surprisingly strong Handel cond

Edited by MomsMobley

• 3 months later...