Clifford Jordan-Strata East Mosaic

Standardization of business killed whatever was interesting for me as a collector prior to the internet.  You didn't find cutout or used treasures in the Barnes and Noble music department the way you did in the funky little local place the university pulled the lease on to clear the way for Barnes and Noble (UPenn ca. mid-90's).  And the internet has gone a long way toward standardizing prices.  I sold several Mosaic vinyl sets way too cheap before I got on the internet and found out what they were worth.  Still haven't missed a meal or a mortgage payment, so don't need to feel sorry for myself.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still find quirk for my collecting. There seems to be a quirky place or two in every city, down from five or six at one time, but eccentricity marches on.

I found a lot of quirk on the internet for music collecting from the late 1990s at least until 2012 or so. There is not as much now but it can still be found.

On 7/14/2017 at 1:14 PM, JSngry said:

If anybody is lacking on Strata-East "Dolphy Series" issues and wants to remedy that, this set is a must.

And even if you're not, it's got the Wilbur Ware session that was only released by The Bass Institute Of Chicago (everybody snapped that one up, right?) as well as one altogether unreleased session that is good enough.

I had all but the unreleased session, but I bought the set because, to reiterate, I'll never not buy from Mosaic, no matter how hinky their workflow becomes. But yeah, the transfers trump a lot of the LPs by a good shot.

Damn, Jim, you sold me on this one...Seriously considered it about a year or two, but decided against it. Just listened to samples and jumped off the fence. (Mosaics are huge purchases by my standards, and my last order -long before the recent brouhaha- had a shipping snafu that was a hassle.)

On 7/22/2017 at 0:49 PM, JSngry said:

I found mine in Santa Fe, a place called Nicholas Potter, Bookseller. Still in business apparently. They was almost entirely a boodsore, obviously, but had a little bin of used LPs in the back, of which this was one. Noonah was another, I forget what all else. I bought what they had that I liked, came back six months later and the stock had not changed one bit, so the records must have been some wierd afterthought of a collection dump, I guess. I'm wanting to say that there was a fair amount of classical in that mix, and I wish I had more curiosity  about that music then, because if that selection was of the same caliber as the jazz...oh well, no sense crying over split milk, right?

Anyway, here the guy is today, dig it.

NPBindexgraphic.jpg

Yeah - Nick is still around in Santa Fe. He's still a big music supporter. In fact he's the sponsor for the Concha Buika concert coming up Fri. night at The Lensic  in Santa Fe.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How did this particular set sell out so quickly (relatively speaking) - ?

Seems like it was out and gone in a fairly few short years (forgotten the details - maybe it was longer than I'm remembering).

It seemed like the kind of set that would be around a while, but maybe sales were better than I was imagining?

5 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

How did this particular set sell out so quickly (relatively speaking) - ?

Seems like it was out and gone in a fairly few short years (forgotten the details - maybe it was longer than I'm remembering).

It seemed like the kind of set that would be around a while, but maybe sales were better than I was imagining?

I also thought it would sell slowly. I held off purchase for a long time for that reason, and because the discography didn't overly impress. Finally bought it last October when Mosaic had a free shipping offer (iirc). The first couple of hearings, I wasn't knocked out, but I did some intensive listening recently and have come to really enjoy the set. Brackeen and Sanders sessions were the most pleasant surprises. Recorded sound of the piano on discs 1-2 is bad, but I got over it.

That's the record that really sealed the deal on Clifford Jordan for me (I can hear people who were there either earlier or later LOL-ing. but other than the Mingus 3 LP Paris thing, I had limited access to the wider world of Clifford Jordan for a while, that Mingus concert got me, but Dolphy & Byard, just sayin', but then here comes this Max record just lying around somewhere, it's a quartet, only one thing per side, and there's only one horn, and whoa, ok, SPEAK indeed).

I figure that a man who can thrive with both Max and Mingus is a man of substance.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

That's the record that really sealed the deal on Clifford Jordan for me (I can hear people who were there either earlier or later LOL-ing. but other than the Mingus 3 LP Paris thing, I had limited access to the wider world of Clifford Jordan for a while, that Mingus concert got me, but Dolphy & Byard, just sayin', but then here comes this Max record just lying around somewhere, it's a quartet, only one thing per side, and there's only one horn, and whoa, ok, SPEAK indeed).

I figure that a man who can thrive with both Max and Mingus is a man of substance.

That's the record where, to my ears, Jordan arrived at his personal sound.  Have had it around for 40-45 years and love it. 

• 1 month later...

I've just started to dig into this box set, and have a question regarding Cecil Payne - Zodiac.  The timings of two of the tracks in the box are shorter than the timings given on the original LP.  Were the LP timings incorrectly listed, or were these tracks somehow shortened in the box?

1) Martin Luther King, Jr./I Know Love: LP 9:04 (combined), Mosaic 7:01

2) Follow Me: LP 9:16, Mosaic 7:08.

On ‎14‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 7:57 PM, JSngry said:

vis-appropos-visa this general neb ulosity, "conventional wisdom" seem so call Members Don't Get weary the touchstone for the Strata-East thing, but let's step back and look at Max Roach doing this with Clifford Jordan, then let's talk about that.

Oh my God, this was one of my favourite albums and still is. It was heaven on earth for me, after I had got acquainted to Clifford Jordan through the 3 LP Mingus at Paris , and another Debut thing of Mingus featuring Max Roach at the Bohemia, that album "Speak Brother Speak" was something like "closing circles" for me as a young boy. Mingus with Dolphy and Jordan, Mingus with Mal Waldron and Roach, and finally Roach with Mal Waldron and Cliff Jordan.

I think I purchased "Speak Brother Speak" after I had heard Roach for the first time life. I remember I even took it to school and they played it for the students to let em hear what a drummer can do.

Another great Cliff Jordan, maybe almost on the same emotional level like "Speak" is the Mingus album "Right Now!" at the Jazz Workshop in San Francisco. Only a quarted, the thinnest Mingus lineup I ever heard, but listen what this guys including the girl pianist Jane Getz can do. That´s the most far out Cliff Jordan I ever heard......