Spacestation V3

Snakehips

Hi Jim and everyone else,

I wonder if anyone has had a chance to try out the Centre Point Stereo "Spacestation V3" keyboard amp combo ? It supposedly gives a stereo sound by having a front facing 12" speaker and a smaller side facing speaker, and it's powered by 100watts. It is quite small in size and supposedly very loud for it's size. It might be just the thing for me for a small set-up at home - for my Hammond SK2 and Roland RD800.

I am currently using a single Yamaha DXR12 powered monitor speaker for gigging as a keyboard amp/monitor. Just using one of these, I am playing both of my keyboards (organ and piano) in mono. I am now at the stage of being ready to buy another DXR12 powered speaker to use both in stereo - and I could also use them as a PA system when needed, as I have a small stereo mixer (a new model Mackie Mix 5). The  Spacestation works out at roughly the same price as another DXR12 powered speaker. For home use, if I want stereo sound, I would need to set up both DXR speakers, either side of my keyboards - and this takes up a LOT of floor space. If I bought the Spacestation, and if it is good, I could use just that at home, and possibly for gigs, and possibly use the DXR12 speaker for more oomph if I needed it (the signal taken from the Sub-Out output of the Spacestation). I haven't had the opportunity to try one of these out, and online youtube videos don't really help ! 

The main thing I am wondering about is the issue I have found with stereo digital pianos, when the L&R outputs are summed together - ie. when playing in mono, most keyboards you use the L/Mono jack output. Phase cacellation or something, as a result of how a real grand piano is digitally sampled with 2 microphones, I believe is the cause. Pianos sound thin and boxy in the middle registers especially.

The Spacestation apparently sums the L&R signals of a keyboard together (something I am hence worried about) for the forward-facing speaker, the  something like L-R, phase-reversed, or something, for the sideways-facing speaker. If it works, despite my concerns, then COOL ! Just not sure without hearing one of these things OR reassurance from people I admire and respect the opinions of (eg. Jim Alfredson !).

Obviously, I don't expect Jim to outright praise or tear-apart the Spacestation V3, but I wonder if he or others could offer their OWN opinion !! (Being conscious of the recent ongoings on the Facebook Clonewheel page about Jim's recent experience gigging a loaned Crumar Mojo organ, which it appears that this particular keyboard may have had pre-existing issues, and not the Mojo keyboards in general).

You can adjust stereo "width" to suit the room/keyboard BUT a setting that suits a piano keyboard may not suit an organ aslo connected to it. Luckily with my Roland RD800, it is easy to adjust it's stereo width on the fly as there is a dedicated knob for that. Anyone tried one ? Is it a gimmick or does it actually sound promising ?

Edited by Snakehips
Improved

I have one and I've used it for many gigs. My only issues with it are that it takes some time to set up properly in terms of the EQ and it is a bit under-powered. But for smaller venues or venues with a good PA, it's fine. I used it on tour with organissimo back in May in a variety of settings with a Yamaha DXS10 sub to fill out the bottom and it sounded great. You can hear that very rig in this video:

So yes, for the purposes you're detailing, I think it would work great.

Hi again!

Many thanks for your advice. On a quick look at another forum or two, the Spacestation V3 seems to be getting the thumbs up all around. It's a bit like the (Hammond) clone wars though I think. There are always a few guys forcing their opinion on you !

I'm interested in the opinion of guys I respect for having a balanced view of things - so thanks again !!

So, I take it you use the SK2 and Ventilator stereo with the Spacestation ?

Although nothing will ever be as good as a real Leslie through sound out in a circular spin, does the Spacestation add any perceived essence of something spinning ?

You said it takes a lot of set-up time - I am presuming with the stereo spread control and Eq tweaks.

Is this before every gig or was it just while you were getting accustomed to this new product ?

Thanks again !

Edited by Snakehips
Added a sentence

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again !

i got my Spacestation V3 earlier this week and have had some play on it, mostly with my Hammond SK2 with, and without a Ventilator (mk1), but I also tried it with my e.piano (Roland RD800).

I'm struggling with it. It might just not be for me.

Firstly, with my SK2 and Vent, and the SSV3 stereo spread at 12 o'clock, it sounded horrible !

In fast speed, the vent sounded like it was going at twice the normal fast speed, and all gurgly !

It started to sound better after I turned the stereo spread control down to about 10 o'clock.

i definitely see and hear the colouration of the sound that you commented on. It is way too much for me. In fact, I don't like it and am unconvinced I could grow to like it. So much so, that I'd rather stick to an uncoloured MONO sound through a single powered PA speaker (my Yamaha DXR12)  than this SSV3.

The coloured sound is such that it sounds like it is plugged through a wahwah pedal, with the foot control stuck in a half-way position (some part boosted and the rest sucked out !

I have a gig this Sunday night with the blues band I play in. I'll take along bothmy DXR12 and the SSV3. And give it one last chance. It's either going back or I'll have to sell it.

Jim - many thanks for your help beforehand. I knew what I was getting into, before I bought the SSV3 - that I might not like it. 

i think I'll try and recoup my losses and put it towards my next GAS attack - a HX3 driven organ clone. Currently salivating over a MAG C2 organ :

Whoops, forgot the photo/link :

http://www.magorgans.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/C-2-Front.jpg

Edited by Snakehips

• 1 year later...

Play an HX3 Hammond clone (excellent!), an SK2, and NUMA Studio Logic Concert piano.  Went to the US to buy the SpaceStation since we didn't have access to them in Canada.  I don't use it with the HX3 because there are 4 outputs and 32 output options and there are only L & R inputs on the SSv3 and so the amount of time it would take to find an optimal combination as well as the lack of the power bottom end is prohibitive for me.  It is running through a Fender SuperBassman 135 into an extended range JBL pro Fitzmaurice Jack Lite cabinet - awesome!  And the box with speaker ways only 45#s!

Now to the SSv3 - it is really good with the Numa, especially with electric piano patches.  It really shines with any patch with sauce of some sort on it.  The way the SS works is by comparing the left and right signals and then feeding what is different to a separate amp and horizontal speaker system.  If there isn't much different L to R  then the stereo image is proportionately weaker.  When you set it up, you have to be sure not to be sitting beside the side vent speakers, because all that comes out is the differential signal. Nor do you want to sit in front of it as you can't hear a balance of side to front.  I use an amp stand and lay the SS on its side and bounce the side vent sound off the floor and ceiling and keep it about 10 feet away - VERY HAPPY.

I thought about the dual PA powered speaker system, but with that you only get stereo at one point in the room and it degrades to just left or right channel the farther you move away from that sweet spot.  With the SS you get 300 degree stereo and it is the same everywhere.  Using a 2 bin system is an ideological illusion because you don't even get stereo on the stage - only at the convergence point someplace in the middle of the room.  This is why live sound is always mono.

The Numa has the best acoustic bass patch I have heard and I want that woody clarity when I play, so I am wrestling with whether or not to add the Behringer Euro 1200.  But Organ pedal bass is less clear and I think I may go there.  Currently the SK2 is in the hospital so I haven't tried it with the SS.  The acoustic bass patch is killer with just the SS3

Also don't know why you want to use a Vent.  I think too many guys spend way too much time trying to perfect the hardware instead of working on their playing.  I can tell you with the HX3 that I A & B'd the Hammond / Leslie combo side by side with the HX3 JackLite system with synthesized Leslie and I could not tell the difference.  And I've been playing Hammond / Leslie combos for about 40 years so think I should have some cred on that.  The synth Leslie on the SK2 is maybe a bit weaker than the HX3, but really?  If you're recording a career defining album maybe it is relevant.  For the average gig - why would you haul a 150# Leslie around?  

So if the SS isn't sounding good, you need to do the work and resolve the EQ and the orientation.  The thumbs up are right!  If all else fails - phone Aspen - he is always happy to talk to you.

Know this is a reply to an old post, but hopefully it will help someone else...