Why did Prestige end

so i put all my prestiges in order by cat. no. and at the end i have the 10100 series, this david newman lp, patrice rushen too- the other series were reissues after it, then on the discography-page it goes right into next what i guess is the 1st early cd issues for them, which marks the end of their discog (the one on jazzdisco.org).  

----why did it wrap up in 1980 or whats going on with that, i dont think a lot is known about this, blue note has had much more said about it

The statement in Wikipedia that Fantasy began the 10000 series isn't correct. Dexter Gordon's the Chase, 10010 is still clearly a Prestige issue, with Prestige Cover and dark purple label. That's the highest number I have that is clearly all Prestige. Does anyone have higher number Prestige pressings? After that, the Fantasy cover and green label prevails, as far as I can tell. One exception I've found, Boogaloo Joe Jones, Right on Brother, 10025, is a Prestige pressing (with a pale blue label), in a Fantasy cover. Many of the green label pressings are still mastered by RVG.

There are lots of gems in this series. No idea why Fantasy discontinued it.

Background of those LPs of probably little to no interest, but anyway...at the time of their making, Fathead had an all local band that included a bass player out of Denton, former NT guy. and that was exciting, becuase this was not Stan or Woody or Buddy, this was FATHEAD, something that still mattered after all the BigBandLuv had worn off. So when the Fathead Prestige sides hit the stores, "we" were all, like, hey, where's Ted (Wasser, the bassist)? So Ted got asked, hey man, WTF? how come Fathead didn't use you on the record, that's fucked up. And we expected Ted to be all pissed of about it, but Ted told us, no, it's cool, Fathead makes these type of records to keep his name out there, this is what he can get, so this is what he makes, and then when he gets regular live/club dates, we go and play them, and we play mostly straight-ahead, it's a good gig, actually. Well, of course, our young hipster ideologue selves were all pissed offy Fuck The Record Man, He's Trying To Kill Real Jazz, but in retrospect, no, Fathead was a very realistic guy about things, and he lived long enough to have that great last, long run on HighNote (and before that, a short, great second run on Atlantic, and a few others), so, nobody was really killing anything, dig, everybody was just trying to stay alive to see the next day.

And sure, ok, living to see the next day ain't everybody's thing, I understand, nothing guaranteed except RIGHT now, but, just sayin', it ain't evil to want to do that, just as it ain't crazy to embrace that other, it's just people being people and making their choices.