Producer as artist

srellek

Germane to the discussion at hand, I admit that I've been talking more about the elision of production (in the way of stylistic choices, sonic character, musical direction, repertoire, etc.) and mixing/technical knowledge.

Chuck, I'm actually curious what you have to say about the role of production in producing jazz and works of acoustic new music (especially in terms of how this is or is not different from, say, making a rock record). The Nessa catalog has a definite character/je ne sais quoi that is very unique, and I know that it's coaxed some of the best work from a roster of (already) accomplished musicians--Nonaah, Saga of the Outlaws, Air Time, and so on...

Laswell, yeah he can be overbearing, putting his greasy figure prints all over some one else's records BUT what he did with Sharrock on Ask the Ages is something close to a miracle, IMHO, having seen Sharrock live I'd say he not just rescued his career but took a guy who was pretty scattered left to his own devices and made a far better record than what should/could/did (mostly) happen in the '60s.  And Guitar!  I swear Laswell has the fretboard squeaks doing their own little dance... 

"The unreleased remix of Turn It Over"  What, pray tell, is this?  I'm totally intrigued.