Two Shows @ The Stone

Harris Eisenstadt has a week residency. Maybe surprisingly (to myself & others) I've never listened to him on drums nor seen him live. Very tasty line-ups and I'm going Tuesday & Thursday:

9/1/15 - 8:00 & 10:00 (Old Growth Forest):

Tony Malaby: tenor saxophone

Jeb Bishop: trombone

Jason Roebke: bass

Eisenstadt: drums & compositions

9/3/15: Canada Day Quintet & Octet

8:00 Canada Day IV:

Nate Wooley: trumpet

Matt Bauder: tenor saxophone

Chris Dingman: vibraphone

Adam Hopkins: bass

Eisenstadt: drums & compositions

10:00 - Octet add:

Jeb Bishop: trombone

Anna Webber: flute

Dan Peck: tuba

many reasons I'm excited for both nights but maybe main reason is to see Jeb Bishop for the first time in about 13 years. 

Bishop with my man Tony Malaby sounds like a very powerful combination to me.

Also will see Roebke for the first time as well as Bauder. Plus I havn't seen Wooley enough - I will make sure to see him a couple of times during his upcoming October Stone residency which includes among others, a rare NYC appearance of the *great* Paul Lytton!!

Standing on a Whale Fishing for Minnows

Been thinking on making some comments. Mixed results. Maybe I wait until after Canada Day Quintet and Octet tomorrow night.

I did love Roebke and Malaby was focused and intense. Compositions locked the improv out too much for my tastes. Eisenstadt sure holds back at the kit - I'm interested to hear a bit more than quiet intensity Thursday night

Passed on tonight - instead choosing Saturday night @ Cornelia Street

Angelica Sanchez - piano

Michael Formanek - bass

Tyshawn Sorey - drums

choice made because my feeling us that a great drummer makes a great band - and I was thoroughly underwhelmed by the drummer I saw the other night. The more I thought about it, the more the choice was clear to go see/hear/experience the *great* Tyshawn Sorey rather than be dissapointed in a potentially great band because the drummer refuses to rip it when it needs to be cranked up.

When Eisenstadt had a duo section with Jeb Bishop and dud nothing except pitter patter at the kit, I guess I knew there was little besides his nice compositions that would bring me back to see him live. 

When I'm in the front row five feet from a drummer and I leave completely and totally unmoved by the drummer, that a drummer I'm simply not going to see live again. Too many great ones playing in NY on regular basis to waste a night on that - despite Nate Wooley, Dan Peck, Jeb Bishop, Chris Dingman et al.