Request: Can we start some new 'listening to threads'?

A Lark Ascending

'What are you listening to right now? and 'What 'classical' music are you listening to' have been going for many years (the first since 2003!) and have stacked up thousands of pages. I suspect the former is the most posted to thread on the board and one greatly valued by those of us who like it. 

During the board's slower periods (I understand why that is happening and appreciate it is not a quick or costless fix)  these threads can be the slowest to open and most likely to lead to a crash. 

Could we start a 'What are you listening to right now? II' and similar for the classical threads (there may be others that cause other posters issues). The original threads could be pinned somewhere in case people feel the need to go back through them. 

I don't feel it appropriate to just start one myself - perhaps a moderator could do something if there was a general feeling that it would be helpful?

What do you think? 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

There's a 2 hour period from around 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. in the UK when the board slows, cuts out, sometimes for lengthy periods - it's while back up is taking place so is essential for maintenance. During that periods where it can be accessed the shorter threads open reasonably swiftly. The long ones take ages and often time out.

It's not life threatening - if most people prefer to keep the one thread, fine. But it would make it a little easier a this end.  

I check the board at all hours and have rarely experienced any slowness to open or crashes with respect to any thread.  Does anyone in the U.S. experience those issues?

Only chronic insomniacs.

There's a 2 hour period from around 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. in the UK when the board slows, cuts out, sometimes for lengthy periods - it's while back up is taking place so is essential for maintenance. During that periods where it can be accessed the shorter threads open reasonably swiftly. The long ones take ages and often time out.

It's not life threatening - if most people prefer to keep the one thread, fine. But it would make it a little easier a this end.  

"2 hour period" is a bit generous, Bev. In my experience the board's often knackered from about 6:45 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.  :-(

There's two factors here, really, one aesthetic, one practical.

First - feel free to start whatever kind  a threads you want, Bev. Targeted listening-to topics might engender more dialogue that the current listening-to threads, which are currently/usually the equivalent of family photos on your desk at work...people walk by, maybe look, and maybe say, "hey, nice kids", and then move on.

Then again, nothing wrong with that. But then again, again, nothing really thrilling about it either.

From the practical side, I get the slowness around 1 AM here, sometimes earlier, but it's neither better nor worse for a large thread than it is a small one. Given that those are the hours when the board is getting backed up, I don't know that you'd have a different experience or not, I suspect that the data flow to and from your IP's location is more of a factor than is actual thread size. The routing of data is a perversely convoluted one at times, and if you hit even one gateway that is not really flowing, you get  a hangup,

I check the board at all hours and have rarely experienced any slowness to open or crashes with respect to any thread.  Does anyone in the U.S. experience those issues?

Only chronic insomniacs.

"2 hour period" is a bit generous, Bev. In my experience the board's often knackered from about 6:45 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.  :-(

Right more like between three and four hours here too. Longer than it use to be. Basically, forget about browsing between breakfast and lunch in CET-land. 

FWIW, the slowness here generally lasts between 1-2 hours. Users who experience longer - or shorter -delays might be experencing server maintainence issues somewhere other in the chian than that of the board's own server.

What you can do, if you have the free time and the inclination, is to call your ISP during a lag and have them trace the signal from your computer to the board's server. Of if you're a true geek, run the test yourself.

This is not a "professional" opinion by any stretch of the imagination, but the fact that different durations of the lag are being reported from different locations would certainly appear to suggest that there is more than one variable in the mix.

Ok then. That was a while ago, though, very different global dynamics in play now, so...afaic, posters start their own threads, and if it becomes an ownership decision, so be it. Gotta respect that.

Either way, no harm, no foul, proceed as desired until otherwise shown.

I would, however, suggest that a generic thread would be far less useful than a targeted one. In other words, ask waht (fill in the blanks) are you listening to now, rather than just hey dooodz, whazzup? type thing.

Personally, I enjoy the dialogues about items that ensure about what somebody is listening to, but that doesn't happen very much, it seems, which is perhaps the inevitable outcome (and contrary to the implicit intent) of the generic thread. Like MomClems said the other day, it's where dialogue goes to die, or something like that.

He's got a point, although whether or not it's relevant to the board dynamic...I don't know. But we can certainly see!