Anybody Been To A Doc Severinsen Show Lately?

JSngry

He's got an appearance scheduled with the Plano Symphony Orchestra coming up...he's 88 now, can't be too much of this left...

He used to be omnipresent for these type things around here, the light classics/pops things, and I never bothered, because...um, yeah.

But, last of his breed, perhaps? Might be worth going as a "pop culture" moment as anything else?

That's the same reason I went to see Sinatra, but Sinatra got the last laugh on that one, he had one of his GREAT nights and I left with goosebumps.

Neither looking for nor expecting goosebumps from Doc Severinsen, but if his chops are still good, it might be fun.

anybody seen/heard him lately?

He played here a year or two ago, and I had similar thoughts but wound up missing it. Every time I've thought that it might be the last time I get to see someone perform and still didn't go, I've regretted it later (Ray Price being the most notable example). 

I've heard unequivocally favorable comments from people who've seen Doc within the past few years - still had his chops and displayed considerably more stamina than one might expect from a performer at his age. Of course, things could've changed more recently, so YMMV and all that. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

American Masters (PBS) alert! - a Doc Severinsen episode aired last night, and probably repeating all week.

Our DVR auto-records the PBS American Masters series, and last night was “Never Too Late, The Doc Severinsen Story” (90 min), fwiw.

Only about 10 minutes in now.

Edited by Rooster_Ties