"A Love Supreme" one more time

jazzbo

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original session reels have been located according to the Mosaic newsletter

What a rare treat!

Having worked on several editions of A Love Supreme in the CD era, I am amazed to find out that a set of the original session reels has been found and that all will be revealed on November 6, 2015 in a 3-CD set of the iconic work.

Over the years, we were able to find scraps of the sextet version (of only one movement), from Coltrane's reference tapes unearthed by his son Ravi. I was able to supercede the damaged American master by finding a pristine second generation tape in London. But now the entire opus is extant and soon to be available. -Michael Cuscuna

Edited by erwbol

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, david weiss said:

Nice piece on this.....

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/seeing-through-a-love-supreme-to-find-john-coltrane

Of particular interest to me is the mention of other live recordings of A Love Supreme in the days after the one included in the set which we know oh so well already....

it's just one recording, and is earlier than the studio version.

philadelphia  9-18-64  'resolution' can be heard at http://tela.sugarmegs.org

do a search for coltrane, then select 

JohnColtraneQuartet1964-09-18ALoveSupremeSecondMovementFirstLiveExecutionPepsLoungePhiladelphiaPA.asx

Edited by l p

Kevin Reeves. Even though I'm not bothered by RVG's remastering as much as many, this is a better job all around. The best I've heard this in Redbook (I haven't heard the Platinum SHM-CD or whatever it is that seems to have been crowned the best so far before this).

Depending on which "prior CD release" you mean, or imo probably whichever you mean, yes, I feel the sound quality is superior on this new release. And no, it's not the same sound on the live disc, it's mastered differently (this one is by Kevin Reeves, the former by Rudy Van Gelder).

50 minutes ago, crisp said:

Mine got pretty crushed in the post.

Mine was very well packed by amazon.com and arrived unblemished.

I had no plans to get this latest release because I have the 2002 "Deluxe Edition" RVG 2-disk Impulse release which is described as the "definitive edition" (for what that's worth). Honestly, I'm not all that concerned about missing out on a couple of additional alt takes, if that's the only difference. But if the audio is significantly improved, that's another matter altogether.

7 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Depending on which "prior CD release" you mean, or imo probably whichever you mean, yes, I feel the sound quality is superior on this new release. And no, it's not the same sound on the live disc, it's mastered differently (this one is by Kevin Reeves, the former by Rudy Van Gelder).

Mine was very well packed by amazon.com and arrived unblemished.

I meant the prior definitive for all time 2 CD release.

On 11/30/2015, 3:35:32, erwbol said:

In Europe, Amazon's packaging for CD's that fit through a letterbox is as thick as a postcard.

Yep. Which pretty much guarantees that multi-CD digipaks (or other packaging made of thin cardstock) are going to get squashed in transit and arrive with, at minimum, a permanently creased spine on the digipak. The last two CD sets I've ordered from Amazon.de had this happen. 

On 9/22/2015, 5:57:42, CJ Shearn said:

Looking at the tracklist a bit more carefully, it seems like I would be interested in a few things, but how much would I listen? IDK

Yeah - that's the bottom line. I don't listen to the last "Deluxe" version much, so ... I'm still on the fence.