"A Love Supreme" one more time

jazzbo

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully the live performance is an upgrade over the deluxe RVG.

I am very happy with the Platinum SHM-CD, however, which, for what it's worth, has "HR cutting from the DSD master which was flat transferred from original master in 2013" according to CD Japan.

PS For completeness' sake they could also have included that bootleg club recording of several sections of ALS from earlier in 1964. But then people would start bitching about the sound, like with the latest Miles Davis Bootleg Series volume.

Edited by erwbol

Yeah, what's being added here? Just the reconstruction of the sessions using session reels, as notated in the Making Of ALS book? And "Trane's mono mix", which I assume is the tapes ran off for him to take home at the end of the day?

That's of interest to me to be sure, but in the form of a package otherwise devoid of anything else new, and at that price...I can wait until used/promo copies hit the market, I think.

Mind is getting a little foggy here, but IIRC, the original album mentioned contributions by Archie Shepp and, I think, Art Davis, that were left on the cutting room floor.  Have those sections been released previously, are the present here, and what are they like?

Those tracks are from 10 December. Some were released on the Deluxe Edition mastered by RVG.

Nothing special if you ask me.

That deluxe edition was also done from a newly discovered 1965 copy of the master tape from London that did not have added equalisation and compression. 

Quote: A releaved Rudy Van Gelder declared it to be as close to the real thing as one could get in the analog domain without having the original tape: "This tape preserves the sonic details with vivid accuracy: Elvin's cymbals, the deep intensity of the vocal chant, and the openness of the group sound."

Now, if you would like to experience this deep intensity and other fine qualities of the newly discovered 1965 tape, you are much better of listening to the beautiful Platinum SHM-CD with its flat transfer of the tape than the RVG deluxe edition. A world of difference.

Edited by erwbol

Mind is getting a little foggy here, but IIRC, the original album mentioned contributions by Archie Shepp and, I think, Art Davis, that were left on the cutting room floor.  Have those sections been released previously, are the present here, and what are they like?

Interesting to listen to, but understandable why they were not released.  They fall far short of the magic of the original album, as well as most of the other work by both artists.

Edited by Guy Berger

• 2 weeks later...

3 CD Super Deluxe Edition: A personal introduction by that halfwit Carlos Santana! Fuck's sake.

-------------

"This release will kick off a celebration of the 60th anniversary of the Verve label, which will include myriad catalog releases, digital exclusives and box sets through the end of 2016."

Hmmm.

I think I wouldn't mind a nice CD version of this that I can rip for my ipod. I've only got the MCA UK version on LP, as I flogged my HMV mono copy to get a stereo one. I used to DREAM the music back in '65! Now I hardly ever listen. I don't think I want this, though. What's nice, but only the original album?

MG

Hey my friend. . . . I really like the "Deluxe" two cd version which has mastering by RVG but many don't prefer that one. My other favorite is a "K2" remastered Japanese cd that has just the material as originally issued, But the most recent single disc reissue from Verve (which I have as a part of a "Complete Impulse Album Collection" volume) sounds quite good to me.

The Platinum SHM-CD is very nice for the above mentioned reasons.

The APO hybrid SACD is also very good.

The most recent single disc Verve issue Lon mentions is loud garbage and should be avoided at all costs. (Not to stir up old arguments, but I've come to the conclusion Lon likes anything a record company hangs 24bit label on.)

3 CD Super Deluxe Edition: A personal introduction by that halfwit Carlos Santana! Fuck's sake.

-------------

"This release will kick off a celebration of the 60th anniversary of the Verve label, which will include myriad catalog releases, digital exclusives and box sets through the end of 2016."

Hmmm.

Perhaps the project was at least partially funded by Carlos Santana

-------------

Hmmm.

Yeah, often I do cringe when I hear/read what he has to say.  He made some GREAT music ca. 1969-1976.  When I think of him, I remember the old Nils Lofgren lyric:  "I'll play my guitar all night and all day, just don't ask me to think".

The deluxe edition is fine, not going for a third dip, I don't think.  "The Complete Sun Ship Sessions" is awesome because of the music being unedited, compared to the composite masters.

Also where I'm coming down on those two sets.

-------------

Hmmm.

Yeah, often I do cringe when I hear/read what he has to say.  He made some GREAT music ca. 1969-1976.  When I think of him, I remember the old Nils Lofgren lyric:  "I'll play my guitar all night and all day, just don't ask me to think".

The deluxe edition is fine, not going for a third dip, I don't think.  "The Complete Sun Ship Sessions" is awesome because of the music being unedited, compared to the composite masters.

Also where I'm coming down on those two sets.

Looking at the tracklist a bit more carefully, it seems like I would be interested in a few things, but how much would I listen? IDK

-------------

Hmmm.

That will be a vibrational experience:lol: