"A Love Supreme" one more time

jazzbo

The deluxe edition is fine, not going for a third dip, I don't think.  "The Complete Sun Ship Sessions" is awesome because of the music being unedited, compared to the composite masters.

Also where I'm coming down on those two sets.

Looking at the tracklist a bit more carefully, it seems like I would be interested in a few things, but how much would I listen? IDK

I agree.  It was nice to have the live set, cleaned up.  But really.  When I want to listen to ALS, I want to listen to ALS, as originally released.  Life is too short ...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The deluxe edition is fine, not going for a third dip, I don't think.  "The Complete Sun Ship Sessions" is awesome because of the music being unedited, compared to the composite masters.

Also where I'm coming down on those two sets.

Looking at the tracklist a bit more carefully, it seems like I would be interested in a few things, but how much would I listen? IDK

I agree.  It was nice to have the live set, cleaned up.  But really.  When I want to listen to ALS, I want to listen to ALS, as originally released.  Life is too short ...

seconded ...

Edited by soulpope

Pre-order prices in Europe for the 3 CD set are outrageous at the moment, certainly compared to the Miles Bootleg Series sets from Sony. Whether or not I will pick this set up will now completely depend on the quality of the remastering. I'll download a FLAC rip through bittorrent first, and then possibly wait for a good deal.

Pre-order prices in Europe for the 3 CD set are outrageous at the moment, certainly compared to the Miles Bootleg Series sets from Sony. Whether or not I will pick this set up will now completely depend on the quality of the remastering. I'll download a FLAC rip through bittorrent first, and then possibly wait for a good deal.

Ahh - technology!!

• 2 weeks later...

I feel the A Love Supreme outtakes that were released previously, both with and without Shepp, were lacking. I felt the same about the Crescent alternate released on the Quartet box set.

Now there is nothing wrong with releasing more/all of the outtakes this time, but the pre-order prices are exorbitant last I checked. This set is in need of an immediate steep drop in price. And the mastering better be outstanding.

looks like the reason for the delayed release is because verve deleted a bunch of tracks.

//  = deleted

Disc 1: 

1 Part I: Acknowledgement
2 Part II: Resolution
3 Part III: Pursuance
4 Part IV: Psalm
//5 Part I: Acknowledgement *
//6 Part II: Resolution *
7 Part III: Pursuance *
8 Part IV: Psalm *

Tracks 1-4 released as Impulse AS-77. 
Tracks 5-8 taken from Coltrane’s original mono reference masters and are previously unreleased.

Disc 2: 

// deleted

//1.    Part I: Acknowledgement (Undubbed)
2.    Part I: Acknowledgement (Vocal Overdub #2)
3.    Part I: Acknowledgement (Vocal Overdub #3)
//4.    Part II: Resolution (Take 1/Breakdown)
//5.    Part II: Resolution (Take 2/Breakdown)
//6.    Part II: Resolution (Take 3/Breakdown)
7.    Part II: Resolution (Take 4/Alternate) (previously released on Impulse! 314 589 945-2, 2002)
//8.    Part II: Resolution (Take 5/Breakdown)
9.    Part II: Resolution (Take 6/Breakdown) (previously released on Impulse! 314 589 945-2, 2002)
10.    Part IV: Psalm (Undubbed)
11.    Part I: Acknowledgement (Take 1/Alternate) (previously released in mono on Impulse! 314 589 945-2, 2002)
12.    Part I: Acknowledgement (Take 2/Alternate) (previously released in mono on Impulse! 314 589 945-2, 2002)
13.    Part I: Acknowledgement (Take 3/Breakdown with Studio Dialogue)
14.    Part I: Acknowledgement (Take 4/Alternate)
15.    Part I: Acknowledgement (Take 5/False Start)
16.    Part I: Acknowledgement (Take 6/Alternate)

old track list

http://theseconddisc.com/2015/09/21/acknowledgement-john-coltranes-a-love-supreme-goes-super-deluxe-with-complete-masters/

new track list 

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Supreme-Complete-Masters-Edition/dp/tracks/B014T4JOM2/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_2

i like the 2 takes of Acknowledgement with shepp that we have from the previous reissue. it's almost like a different tune. 

the 2 cd version, without the live 3rd disc:

A Love Supreme: The Complete Masters [2 CD]   $19.98

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014T4JP2G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

That makes it EUR 14 extra for just the live disc.

Instead of the reference mono version of just two tracks, they could have fit the excellent flat transfer of the stereo tape that was included on the Platinum SHM-CD on the first disc. That would have been value for money.

Edited by erwbol

looks like the reason for the delayed release is because verve deleted a bunch of tracks.

//  = deleted

Disc 1: 

1 Part I: Acknowledgement
2 Part II: Resolution
3 Part III: Pursuance
4 Part IV: Psalm
//5 Part I: Acknowledgement *
//6 Part II: Resolution *
7 Part III: Pursuance *
8 Part IV: Psalm *

Tracks 1-4 released as Impulse AS-77. 
Tracks 5-8 taken from Coltrane’s original mono reference masters and are previously unreleased.

Disc 2: 

// deleted

//1.    Part I: Acknowledgement (Undubbed)
2.    Part I: Acknowledgement (Vocal Overdub #2)
3.    Part I: Acknowledgement (Vocal Overdub #3)
//4.    Part II: Resolution (Take 1/Breakdown)
//5.    Part II: Resolution (Take 2/Breakdown)
//6.    Part II: Resolution (Take 3/Breakdown)
7.    Part II: Resolution (Take 4/Alternate) (previously released on Impulse! 314 589 945-2, 2002)
//8.    Part II: Resolution (Take 5/Breakdown)
9.    Part II: Resolution (Take 6/Breakdown) (previously released on Impulse! 314 589 945-2, 2002)
10.    Part IV: Psalm (Undubbed)
11.    Part I: Acknowledgement (Take 1/Alternate) (previously released in mono on Impulse! 314 589 945-2, 2002)
12.    Part I: Acknowledgement (Take 2/Alternate) (previously released in mono on Impulse! 314 589 945-2, 2002)
13.    Part I: Acknowledgement (Take 3/Breakdown with Studio Dialogue)
14.    Part I: Acknowledgement (Take 4/Alternate)
15.    Part I: Acknowledgement (Take 5/False Start)
16.    Part I: Acknowledgement (Take 6/Alternate)

old track list

http://theseconddisc.com/2015/09/21/acknowledgement-john-coltranes-a-love-supreme-goes-super-deluxe-with-complete-masters/

new track list 

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Supreme-Complete-Masters-Edition/dp/tracks/B014T4JOM2/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_2

WTF? Only the first deletion really bothers me, but. . . .

wtf indeed!

Will they follow up with a mono edition later? As far as I know, Impulse only did mono as fold downs though, so I don't get the point of including mono versions in the first place -- the "thrill" of hearing what Trane heard, returning home from the sessions? 

from the jc reference

//1.    Part I: Acknowledgement (Undubbed)
//4.    Part II: Resolution (Take 1/Breakdown) bass only
//5.    Part II: Resolution (Take 2/Breakdown) bass only
//6.    Part II: Resolution (Take 3/Breakdown) gets to the start of the sax entrance
//8.    Part II: Resolution (Take 5/Breakdown) timing unknown. coltrane messes up, and stops playing.

It sounds really nice on the Blu-Ray Audio disc as well.

51oirdx_BJML.jpg

The Blu-ray Audio is reasonably priced at the moment. Only, there is no mention of who mastered it and when on the back artwork.

Like the booklet for the 2002 deluxe edition mentioned, Van Gelder worked with an excellent transfer made by French radio and it shows, but I would prefer to own a copy that is a bit less loud.