"A Love Supreme" one more time

jazzbo

haven't read anything yet, got the two-disc version early last week and gave the session reels a listen - would have enjoyed more of the undubbed stuff, but the main part is having the entire session with Shepp there - and that is pretty fascinating

would be interested if anyone knows if there's any substantial difference between the two- and three-disc versions regarding the booklet and documentation (i.e. does it have different liners, does it duplicate some Kahn's liners from the old Deluxe edition as far as comments on the live set go...?)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the three disc and the two disc Japanese SHM-CD version. The notes for the two cd are the same with the exception of the notes about the live version, and the photos and the music sheet reproduction are there but of course in the small jewel case booklet size.

On October 10, 2015 1:57:39 PM, clifford_thornton said:

I don't think my post was understood.

I understood it. When my son was an infant, the only way I could get him to take a nap was to crank up Coltrane's Live At Birdland. My wife would sit there and look at him in amazement and say "how can he SLEEP through this?!"

As for this "new" edition, I'm not interested. The Deluxe version from over a decade ago is just fine. I'm out of the shelling out more bucks for the same shit I already have bait and switch garbage. Unless it's something that sounded pretty bad previously. Like The Olatunji Concert, for example. 

The Live Trane box is a good example of a release that GREATLY improved on the sound of the previous releases. 

10 minutes ago, Eric said:

Out of curiosity - which one are you referring to?

http://www.allmusic.com/album/live-trane-the-european-tours-mw0000591728

It took all the live Pablo releases and mixed them down to mono which got rid of all the incredibly nasty phase shifting and stereo channel warbling/dropouts. Sounds a thousand times better than the original Pablo releases I had, which were Bye Bye Blackbird, The Paris Concert, and Afro Blue Impressions. 

6 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/live-trane-the-european-tours-mw0000591728

It took all the live Pablo releases and mixed them down to mono which got rid of all the incredibly nasty phase shifting and stereo channel warbling/dropouts. Sounds a thousand times better than the original Pablo releases I had, which were Bye Bye Blackbird, The Paris Concert, and Afro Blue Impressions. 

Gotcha - thought that might be the case.  That is a great box ...

15 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I have the three disc and the two disc Japanese SHM-CD version. The notes for the two cd are the same with the exception of the notes about the live version, and the photos and the music sheet reproduction are there but of course in the small jewel case booklet size.

Thanks Lon!

I'll live with the two disc version then (which I bought on a whim, spontaneously)

• 2 weeks later...

it's interesting that the 2cd version is hidden on amazon, and can't be found just by doing a regular search. by verve's request, i would think.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=coltrane+A+Love+Supreme+The+Complete+Masters&rh=n%3A5174%2Ck%3Acoltrane+A+Love+Supreme+The+Complete+Masters

Edited by l p

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy Shepp here. Another window into the material, another way that didn't pan out entirely, but this is a nice departure. Shepp had such a strong presence and drive at the time. Wasn't long before Trane found the strong presence and drive that really did work for him, Pharoah Sanders. So glad this new version is out, I like the whole package.

shepp's playing is fine here, but the sound of his sax is extremely harsh to me. i didn't notice it in the past on the 2 takes that we've had before, but it really struck me when listening to this longer version of the session. i'm not very used to hearing his mid-60's playing. with him out of the way, instead of a jam-like atmosphere, all you hear is jc doing clean takes of acknowledgement.

• 2 months later...

I recently picked up the 3 disc version at Concerto in Amsterdam so it wouldn't get damaged in transit. Very nice though fragile packaging. I like the use of non-session photos like the one of John and Alice at the Blue Coronet Club from early 1964.

I'm very happy with this. This is what the 2002 deluxe edition should have been (had those original session tapes been located then). The sound beats any CD Impulse has put out in the US/EU in the past. Unlike the awfully loud and boosted Originals remaster, you can actually crank up the volume a bit on this, though not as far as on the Platinum SHM-CD.

That said, the Platinum SHM-CD with its flat transfer (of, I presume, the UK flat transfer copy first used for CD in 2002) does have more warmth, a better midrange and deeper bass. This ultimately makes for a more impressive and satisfying listening experience. The new Complete Edition also has the highs somewhat lifted (though not resulting in a white hot trebly sound). So yeah, more treble, less bass, less warmth, but good enough. I personally think the now out-of-print Platinum SHM-CD (UCCU-40003) was totally worth it at a little under $30.

Also, the introduction by Carlos Santana was actually a lengthy quote worth reading from his recent 2014 autobiography, and not the kind of nauseating new age mumbo jumbo I expected from him. Hearing the entire session with Archie Shepp and Art Davis progress enhanced my appreciation for the 10 December, 1964 session. I have yet to listen to the live performance. Perhaps I'll wait a little until my copy of the Jazz Icons DVD Live in France 1965 arrives.