boat people

Chuck Nessa

I left the BNBB like lots of others and went here asap and to Michael Ricci's site. The All About Jazz site seemed perfect - up and running, threads to join, etc. I understand we overwhelmed them, and MR tried to keep up with us, but a couple of negative posts and ulitmately the thread started by an idiot named Pharoahrock ticked me off to the extent I left.

I'm in a funk about loosing the "home" on the BN site, but don't need this shit.

I will be here as long as the group lives. I hope it prospers.

Thanks Mr. Organ.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I signed up here asap. Note I am not a new member, but I need posts to respond to.

To see why I left, check out the threat/d started by Pharoahrock, and check out his response tonight (Sunday circa 8:40). It opens with http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread....s=&threadid=421 and his latest posting is on page 8.

I'm too weary to fight sobs like this.

Yeah, that guy seems to be a jerk for sure, Chuck. But there's one (or more) in every crowd. I wouldn't let that keep you from posting over there - just ignore him.

For the time being, I'm covering the gamut until I see what shakes out. I've been a member of JazzCorner for a long time - they are re-designing over there and will have a re-launch soon. Also, I will keep an eye on 'harlem.org' (still sleepy even with the new members), AAJ and here.

I plan to keep checking in to the BN site, too. I think it still might be a good source for discussing BN topics. We'll just have to see what they do with it over the next few weeks. It's a mess right now.

Edited by BFrank

I'm too weary to fight sobs like this.

You don't have to. The AAJ board has an "ignore" feature. Click on PharoahRockHead's profile button - you will see a link marked "Ignore PharoahRockHead's Posts". Click this link and all of his posts will be invisible to you, and will remain so.

OTOH, there's nothing wrong with just calling this place home.

The BNBB demise came at the same time as I went into a much more busy phase in my life, as I'm into my last year of law school, and online activities have been forced to a lower level.

But, here I am, and I'm leaning more towards this site than AAJ right now. If there's somewhat less activity over here at the moment, it suits me fine because then I'll be able to stay updated at all with the dicussions. But Pharoahrock definitely affected my choice as well.

Who from the BNBB are we still missing over here? Ed Swinnich, Chris Albertson, Joe... and quite a few more. Hope they'll show up.

Great job, B-3er!!!

For what it’s worth Chuck, not just ex-BNBBers are asking your return to AAJ. One of the AAJ-ers, amid his defense of Pharaohrock, also said:

“…as a matter of fact I am fucking pissed (see, you guys can swear in here without asterisks...please don't insult my intelligence, just use the damn word) to see that it drove away one of my idols, who was just starting to post here. To have been able to have had an ongoing discussion with Chuck Nessa would have been just as good to me as having Ron Kittle on my AIM buddy list (go ahead and make fun, I'm an unabashed White Sox fan).”

As Bfrank said, every bulletin board has its boneheads. Hell, I freely admit to suffering from village idiot syndrome, so even this board has one (I’ll try and keep my thumb out of my Wingy, but I can’t make promises I won’t keep).

There were days when the only site I visited was the BNBB. For me, there really wasn’t an alternative. Now there’s two boards of equal interest, so I expect to split my time between this board and AAJ.

I think this is just my second post here.

First off, kudos to B3-er for coming through like this, you've done a great job.

When I decided to give up on the BNBB, I looked around and felt as though AAJ was the place to settle, because I don't see this site getting the steady stream of new blood that BN or AAJ attracts, not unless something serious is done to promote the site. I also have to admit that despite my past on the BNBB I was happy to be at a forum with NO politics allowed. I've learned that it just brings out the worst in people and that no one ever changes anyone's mind, its just a big pissing contest where everyone gets hosed eventually ;)

Now of course, P-Rock has raised his foolishness, but frankly I am not going to be run off any board by some pissant member. And I'd like to point out to everyone that P-Rock is really the only person who has raised these BS objections. Hopefully I will not have to activate the "ignore" function, but right now I am going to stay at AAJ for the foreseeable future.

There's just no way I can keep up with two boards.

But I have to say, with Lon and Jim S, among others, here, I may just get my shirt tugged over here more often than I expect to ;)

Once again, good job, B3-er, its good to see so many people over here and hanging together.

See ya when I see ya.

The BNBBer formerly known as GHF

I REALLY like the fact that this board is run by a jazz musician, a "dot-org", rather than a "dot-com. I know he's got his own product to sell, but there's a big difference between hawking your own wares and hawking the whole "jazz image" thing. Yeah, the latter is a fact of life, and not intrinsically bad, but given a choice, I'll go with musicians doin' it for themselves, and that's what this is.

Still fluctuating between boards to see what's up, and Randy Hersom invited me to do a "Ask Quartet Out" thread on Jazz Corner, so I'm going there some, but this place is really feeling like a good after-hours club, and that's as good a rec as I can give anything. Chill out, lay back, hang with friends, and let the outside world fight their battle on their own time.

Now, can I get a Double Jack, straight up? ;)

Edited by JSngry

As Bfrank said, every bulletin board has its boneheads. Hell, I freely admit to suffering from village idiot syndrome, so even this board has one (I’ll try and keep my thumb out of my Wingy, but I can’t make promises I won’t keep).

But...B3-er promised me the job... :(

After all the foolishness at the AAJ board, I've found myself not as excited about it as I was. I'm not going to be run off the board, but it just lost some of the gleam to me.

This board is going to become my first stop and then I'll check AAJ.

I didn't post a lot at the old BNBB (I had a couple hundred posts), but I was there since '99 and I feel like I know all of you. I really want to use this as a new start and get more involved.

Thanks B3-er for the great board!

OK, folks, here's the latest from the infamous P-Rock:

"More lippiness. Smack being talked by middle-aged guys with desk jobs.....what is THAT worth?? 27 years old, yes= but at least I play an instrument and have a deeper understanding of music besides which Connoisseurs are the hardest to find and all of that mindless pecuniary bullshit."

After tearing him a new one, maybe I'll just stay right here after all.