resources for new Alto Clarinet player? - borrowing an instrument of unknown quality

Rooster_Ties

A friend here in the DC area just joined a wind ensemble (small concert band, I'm told, of about 50 players) -- and she's going to be playing Alto Clarinet.  She's played regular and bass clarinet for 40+ years, but this is her first (ever) experience playing alto.

Any resources (online or otherwise) that she should know about, as she dives into this endeavor?  She said the instrument is really a lot softer than she was expecting -- a LOT less heft to the tone than a bass clarinet (which she's also played off and on for a couple decades, at least).

She's looking at possibly getting a new mouthpiece, and (at least) definitely a new ligature (which it's badly in need of) -- and hoping that will help with the tone (but she isn't sure how much is related to the quality of the current mouthpiece).

I briefly played regular (standard) clarinet in junior high myself, and even more briefly played bass clarinet (around that same time) -- and always thought the idea of an alto clarinet seemed nice -- but understand that the actual instruments themselves are often less forgiving models (or maybe the whole instrument is generally less well-developed -- I really don't know).  Anyway, in the abstract, I've always wished guys like Don Byron played alto (clarinet) more, and that the instrument was used more often.  I've started some other threads about the instrument here over the years (I think Joe Lovano is one of the few modern guys to play one much), but of course the discussion is always pretty limited.

Anyway, any good on-line resources for discussion that I can pass along to my friend?  From actual players, possibly with advice about instruments, and what to do to (maybe) get a better sound out of hers (if any thing can be done, which of course, I have no real idea about).  Many thanks!

Edited by Rooster_Ties