Bunky Green

Clunky

BBC Radio 3 had an excellent brief piece on alto saophone player Bunky Green and played a track called "Tension and Release" from a Vanguard LP from the late 70s.

I must say I had never really heard of him but was very impressed by his tone and playing. His output would appear to have been quite limited but I wondered if any board members had views on him and/or his releases?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bunky's a great player who has never stopped growing. I don't know that any his records do him full justice, though. I've heard live things from the last 20 or so years, mostly college clinics and such, that outshine anything I've heard on "official" recordings. Don't have any though, alas.

Bunky Green is a terrific player who coincidentally is a large influence on Steve Coleman. I am not sure which Vanguard recording you are dicussing, but I own both Transformations and Places We've Never Been. For my taste the former is a little too commercial, but Green is in top form. The latter is excellent featuring some very strong playing by Green. By coincidence just yesterday I listened to Green's 1989 recording on Delos, Healing The Pain. I think that may have been his last recording as a leader. It is an excellent quartet recording and highly recommended.

I think Green is an educator in Florida now.

Forgot to mention I have also heard Green's 1960 recording, Step High, which I believe is available on Fresh Sound. Nice bop influenced date that also features Jimmy Heath. Not a Green recording, but Bunky Green appears on Eddie Harris' The Lost Album Plus the Better Half. Highlights on that recording are some extended tracks (13 - 15 min) where Harris and Green really get to stretch out. Impressive stuff.

Edited by relyles

• 1 year later...

Bunky has a new recording coming out on a French Label called 'Label Bleu' next year (2006).  His first recording as a leader in over 10 years.

Thanks for the information. There is a lot of good music on Label Bleu and hopefully this will be no exception. Do you a link to a website with information?

• 3 months later...

c4227.jpg

This one with Sonny Stitt, on the Fresh Sound site might be interesting.. it's a 1964 date though.

I've got that; it was originally called "Soul in the night" and came out on Cadet. Odell Brown is on organ. I like it a lot.

I used to have a Bunky Green album, also on Cadet, called "The latinization of Bunky Green" which was pretty poor. Background vocals were by The Dells. I seem to remember Green was playing electri sax on that one. One to steer clear of.

One I want is "Testifyin' time" - another issued by Cadet in the '60s.

MG

PS - I think the "Stitt goes green" also includes the album Sonny did with Bennie Green. A good coupling, in my view. MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

PS - I think the "Stitt goes green" also includes the album Sonny did with Bennie Green. A good coupling, in my view. MG

Yes looking at the track listing it includes the " My Main Man" Stitt with Bennie Green album.. it will be on my next order to Fresh Sound or Absolute Distribution as I think they now call themselves...

OK they're a bit of a "bootlegger" but where else do you get this stuff at reasonable prices?