Stanley Cowell recs

Tom in RI

I have long appreciated Cowell's playing and the fact that he's a favorite of a lot of other musicians. I don't have much by him as a leader though. I'd appreciate recommendations. But, to keep it really focused I ask that you keep recommendations to only one or two must haves. (Hoping to avoid a thread recounting every date he ever lead). Currently have Illusion Suite only.

Stanley Cowell plays SO much piano, and always - meat. Generally not flashy or firework-y, perhaps easily overlooked or somewhat slept on because of that, but always, meat.

Past what's already been rec-ed, I'd conditionally advise going for the sideman dates over the later leader dates. Fertile, fertile territory.

Of course, the later leader dates are fine as well. It's not that they pale in comparison, it's just that...damn, that dude as been on some really righteous records, lots of them.

But also, this - it's not really a "leader date" per se, but if you find the Concord CD of the Piano Jazz show he did, jump on it. It's a total delight, really.

Also on Strata-East - The Piano Choir records, especially the second one. Idiosyncratic concept that might require a different listening "focal point" to fit it all in, but - marvelous music.

I'll bet the rarest, the one very few of you will have, is the one I recorded and released:  "Live At Café des Copains" (Unisson DDA 1004, LP and Cassette).  Solo piano from June 26, 1985 (wow!  30 years ago!).  It was a pretty hard sell, I'll admit:   lack of distribution, no CD release -- couldn't afford to have it in three formats -- and lastly, though terrific, Stanley wasn't really well known.  Master tapes available for reissue!!!

Stanley Cowell plays SO much piano, and always - meat. Generally not flashy or firework-y, perhaps easily overlooked or somewhat slept on because of that, but always, meat.

Past what's already been rec-ed, I'd conditionally advise going for the sideman dates over the later leader dates. Fertile, fertile territory.

Of course, the later leader dates are fine as well. It's not that they pale in comparison, it's just that...damn, that dude as been on some really righteous records, lots of them.

But also, this - it's not really a "leader date" per se, but if you find the Concord CD of the Piano Jazz show he did, jump on it. It's a total delight, really.

Also on Strata-East - The Piano Choir records, especially the second one. Idiosyncratic concept that might require a different listening "focal point" to fit it all in, but - marvelous music.

I agree 100%, Jim.  

Case in point: Listen to Cowell's work with the Bobby Hutcherson-Harold Land Quintet -- as on Medina and Spiral.  This is vital music that's often overlooked.

MI0000188910.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

To my ears, this is some of the best music that Bobby Hutcherson ever made -- and Cowell's contributions are crucial.

I'll have to find Ted's release of Mr. Cowell's music. Musa is really excellent solo piano music indeed.

His work with Marion Brown is lovely - check side two of Three for Shepp as a place to start, and Why Not? is excellent as well.

Why Not? is a George Cables record. (But I do agree with you that it's a wonderful record!)

Cables. Cowell. Easy to mix 'em up. ;) 

If you can find "Equipose" w/Cecil McBee and Roy Haynes, that's a great trio album.

Thanks for that suggestion. After quick online sampling I've ordered a copy. Sounds very tasty

Yes, it is.

I didn't know it was available on CD. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

I don't think it is. I bought an LP

If you can find "Equipose" w/Cecil McBee and Roy Haynes, that's a great trio album.

Thanks for that suggestion. After quick online sampling I've ordered a copy. Sounds very tasty

Yes, it is.

I didn't know it was available on CD. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

I don't think it is. I bought an LP

I did a quick search and there are CDs, but imports (from a U.S. perspective, anyway). I have the vinyl, too, but my records are stored away.

I agree 100%, Jim.  

Case in point: Listen to Cowell's work with the Bobby Hutcherson-Harold Land Quintet -- as on Medina and Spiral.  This is vital music that's often overlooked.

MI0000188910.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

To my ears, this is some of the best music that Bobby Hutcherson ever made -- and Cowell's contributions are crucial.

:tup In the last year i was finally able to get copies of Medina, Spiral and Patterns when they were reissued in Japan. Excellent stuff! Yeah Cowell is excellent on these albums, his solos always hold my attention.

I'll have to find Ted's release of Mr. Cowell's music. Musa is really excellent solo piano music indeed.

His work with Marion Brown is lovely - check side two of Three for Shepp as a place to start, and Why Not? is excellent as well.

Why Not? is a George Cables record. (But I do agree with you that it's a wonderful record!)

Nope, Why Not? as in the Marion Brown LP from 1966...

Nope, Why Not? as in the Marion Brown LP from 1966...

Doh! My bad. :) 

I assumed you were referring to this:

220px-Why_Not_%28George_Cables_album%29.

Edited by HutchFan

I'll bet the rarest, the one very few of you will have, is the one I recorded and released:  "Live At Café des Copains" (Unisson DDA 1004, LP and Cassette).  Solo piano from June 26, 1985 (wow!  30 years ago!).  It was a pretty hard sell, I'll admit:   lack of distribution, no CD release -- couldn't afford to have it in three formats -- and lastly, though terrific, Stanley wasn't really well known.  Master tapes available for reissue!!!

Attention JLH!

There are really quite a few very good CDs under Stanley Cowell's leadership.Perhaps my favorite is this one:

Stanley Cowell / Freddie Waits / Buster Williams - We Three -  DIW

Others I can recommend include:

Live At Maybeck Recital Hall - Concord (solo piano)

Close To You Alone - DIW  (trio)

Sienna - Steeplechase -  (trio)

Departure #2 - Steeplechase  -(trio)

Are You Real - Steeplechase  (trio)

Dancers In Love - Venus -  (trio)

Attention JLH!

I think I remember seeing the LP of that one in Sam The Record Man, Toronto. Didn't buy it, sadly..