Saying Goodbye to Coltrane

Dan Gould

• 5 months later...

It was a very difficult time, with emotions bubbling up sometimes nearly out of nowhere but I wanted to let everyone know that their thoughts were appreciated and ... that come early May we will have a new Karelian Bear Dog companion for Gracie!

We will be picking seventh out of these two litters:

http://www.simplesite.com/avbeardog/6616828

http://www.simplesite.com/avbeardog/6616824

If we pick a female we are going with "Ella" for the First Lady of Song, but if we choose a male, which seems most likely, the finalists are:

• Mobley
  • Mogie
  • Riley (B.B. King's given name)
  • Louis (because I'd like to introduce two Bear Dogs as "Ella and Louis" but that would come sometime in the future after Gracie leaves us, unless we start with Louis and then get a female companion for him)

Right now I am leaning most toward Riley but I am willing to entertain additional suggestions, or thoughts on the above options.

23 hours ago, BillF said:

I remember a British jazzer had a cat - and probably a composition - called Rollins (I recall the cat's name but not his), so why not Mobley for your dog?

Meanwhile I've remembered (with the assistance of Google) that the musician whose cat was called Rollins was Bob Downes and that the composition was "Here We Go Rollins".:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

And here he is, "King":

King_002.jpg

King_001.jpg

Can you believe how big those paws are? He may grow so large we'll have to decide his namesake is Albert King, not B.B.  But B.B. it is, and now the plan is for the next one to be a female, to be named Lucille. Get it?

He's been a beasty child and a delight so far; in other words, a puppy.  Maybe the best thing about him is how much happier Gracie is with him in the house. Since we moved, Gracie's separation anxiety has gotten worse and whenever Sue went to the barn to take care of the horses she would pace and howl her unhappiness, just as she did when Coltrane wasn't home. Now, for two days with King, she just sits by the door waiting for Sue, no crying, no howling.