Rugby World Cup

mjazzg

Didn't watch the All Blacks game this morning. We won but i heard that we were a bit shaky. Might be a good sign that we're starting slow as we usually peak too early while other teams in the tournament save their best for when it counts.

I'm a bit out of touch, haven't managed to catch any of the international matches leading up to the cup. Now that it's in full swing i'm going to try to get more in to it.

Japan's win over South Africa: Wow. Everyone in the office is following them now. 

Listened to some rugby coverage casually on French radio here and there these past few days when working on my cars (my radio in the garage is permanently tuned in to Europe 1) and caught something amazing:

The US of A actually are in that World Championship and lost their first match to, of all countries, SAMOA?? :excited:

Says a lot about its ranking compared to (American) Football on the domestic sports scene, doesn't it? :huh:

Those Pacific rim countries are generally pretty good at Rugby. They've all got short, broad players in their packs.

America's being in there is amazing, because Americans don't take un-American sports seriously as there's no billions in them. Just as well; if there were they'd rule EVERY sport.

MG

Congrats Scotland! 

Samoa are pretty good. Although we should beat Samoa, i'm always wary when we play them as they are capable of beating higher ranked teams (the South Africa versus Samoa game will be one to watch). I was going to say that most of the national team probably play their club rugby in New Zealand (Auckland has the highest population of Samoans of any city in the world, including Samoa), however a quick look at Wikipedia shows that the majority of the current squad play for English and French teams:

PlayerPositionDate of Birth (Age)CapsClub/province
Alafoti FaosilivaFlanker28 October 1985 (age 29)14England Bath
Alesana TuilagiWing24 February 1981 (age 34)35England Newcastle
Anthony PereniseProp18 October 1982 (age 32)25England Bristol
Census JohnstonProp6 May 1981 (age 34)49France Toulouse
Fa'atoina AutagavaiaWing18 September 1988 (age 27)17France Nevers
Faifili LevaveFlanker15 January 1986 (aged 29)7Japan Toyota Verblitz
Filo PauloLock6 November 1987 (age 27)19Italy Treviso
George PisiCentre29 June 1986 (age 29)17England Northampton
Jack LamFlanker18 November 1987 (age 27)16England Bristol
Jake GreyProp17 February 1984 (age 31)4Samoa SCOPA
Joe TekoriLock17 December 1983 (age 31)33France Toulouse
Johnny LeotaCentre21 January 1984 (age 31)19England Sale
Kahn Fotuali'iScrum-half22 May 1982 (age 33)25England Northampton
Kane ThompsonLock9 January 1982 (age 33)31England Newcastle
Ken PisiWing24 February 1989 (age 26)7England Northampton
Manu LeiatauaHooker26 December 1986 (age 28)8France Aurillac
Maurie Fa'asavaluFlanker12 January 1980 (age 35)26France Oyonnax
Michael StanleyFly-half29 December 1989 (age 25)7Unattached
Motu Matu'uHooker30 April 1987 (age 28)4New Zealand Hurricanes
Ofisa Treviranus (c)Flanker31 March 1984 (age 31)33England London Irish
Ole AveiHooker13 June 1983 (age 32)22France Bordeaux Bègles
Patrick Fa'apaleFly-half5 March 1991 (age 24)6Samoa Vaiala
Paul PerezCentre26 July 1986 (age 29)12South Africa Sharks
Rey Lee-LoCentre20 February 1987 (age 28)3Wales Cardiff Blues
Tim Nanai-WilliamsFullback12 June 1989 (age 26)2Japan Ricoh Black Rams
TJ IoaneNumber 89 May 1989 (age 26)6England Sale
Tusi PisiFly-half18 June 1982 (age 33)22Japan Suntory Sungoliath
Vavae TuilagiNumber 815 June 1988 (age 27)4France Carcassonne
Vavao AfemaiScrum-half18 February 1992 (age 23)5Samoa Vaiala
Viliamu AfatiaProp24 May 1990 (age 25)12France Agen
Zak TaulafoProp29 January 1983 (age 32)37France Stade Français

Interesting ... Looks like most of the Samoan team is made up of "legionnaires" earning their pay far abroad in more renowned leagues.

As a strict outsider to this sport, what I meant to say in my initial post is just that at first sight it is baffling to see a huge country well-established in many areas of sport being beaten by a small (tiny?) one like this. And this can only be due to the fact that rugby is not a major sport in the USA. I was surprised to see rugby has a following there at all. I wonder what playing rugby is like to an American (considering the position of (American) football there). Maybe a bit like college football as it was being played in the 20s, with no headgear, no body protection, nothing ...?

In case Samoa should be playing France later on in the course of this championship I hope to catch the French radio broadcast. ;)

And of course "established" hierarchies in any sport are no longer what they used to be. As can be seen in the European soccer championship where the Netherlands look like they might not make it whereas Iceland does.

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't really been keeping up but things are getting interesting...

England are out.

I wish that i'd gotten to see the Australia Vs Scotland match, looks like it was a cracker. Final score was 35-34 to Australia, however they won in the last minute after being awarded a very controversial penalty. That's the way it goes i guess, most countries have been the victims of dodgy calls at times, it's just a bit gutting as it would have been phenomenal for Scotland to have gotten through and by the looks of it they deserved the win.

The ABs thrashed France on the weekend. I only got to see the last thirty minutes as i'd taken my son to his first swimming lesson (he's 2 and a half... pro-tip: don't be lazy like me, get them in the pool when they're younger and can put up less of a fight). The ABs have a lot of demons when it comes to playing France in the World Cup so it was good to knock it out.

This was a pretty sweet try:

So, now it's down to South Africa Vs New Zealand and Argentina Vs Australia.

I wish that i'd gotten to see the Australia Vs Scotland match, looks like it was a cracker. Final score was 35-34 to Australia, however they won in the last minute after being awarded a very controversial penalty. That's the way it goes i guess, most countries have been the victims of dodgy calls at times, it's just a bit gutting as it would have been phenomenal for Scotland to have gotten through and by the looks of it they deserved the win.

But a wrong decision is still a decision. I`ve seen a great match of rugby today.

And yes Julian Savea..........................a new star player, indeed.

But a wrong decision is still a decision. I`ve seen a great match of rugby today.

And yes Julian Savea..........................a new star player, indeed.

Regarding the decision, yeah totally. It'll be debated and picked apart after the fact but the ref had to make a call in the moment and he made it.

ABs have looked unstoppable, both individually and as a team. However SA have looked like an immovable mountain so their clash will offer one hell of a contest

Shame for Scotland who played so well to stay close to the Wallabies. Sometimes the ref is the most important person on the pitch and he surely was with that decision

I loved the way that Argentina walloped the Irish, who I was supporting (after England's dismal showing it was time to shout for the country of my grandparents' birth).I'd very much like to see them take on ABs in the final

Is the all Southern hemisphere semis real that big a surprise? Maybe Argentina but the other three were always likely to be there

I'm completely gutted over Scotland's exit. Few would have thought they could take Australia to the wire but they did. Two crucial decisions went the wrong way. The manner of their loss through poor refereeing makes it all the harder to take. If Scotland can play like this in Six Nations then I will be deliriously happy. For now, just angry and sad.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, may as well tie this up. New Zealand ended up winning the cup. I missed the first half due to being too lazy to get out of bed, and when i started watching the ABs were up 21-3. I was a bit underwhelmed as it looked like it was going to be a bit of a non-event, but then a player got sent off and the Aussies scored two converted tries to bring it within 4 points at 21-17. The Aussies seemed to have the momentum and i got that familiar sinking feeling however the kiwis managed to hang in there. A skillful drop kick took it to 24-17 (which meant the Aussies would need at least a converted try to tie the score), and then a penalty took it to 27-17. There were still nerves (even with minutes to go i could see the Aussies getting a converted try and then a penalty to take the game to extra time) however a runaway try at the end sealed it at 34-17. Good on ya boys.

• 3 years later...

Anyone interested in this year’s Japan Rugby World Cup?

Nice match between All Blacks and Springboks. 23-13 for New Zealand, with serious problems when defending open and just a few screenshots of their unbelievable mastery playing with the line. Very serious at the scrums, though.

Pumas lost against France in a surprising match (20-3 for France in the first part, 18-3 for Argentina in the 2nd) and need to beat England to pass to the second round.

I enjoyed the Springbok v All Black match. Cheslin Kolbe could be the star of the tournament if SA go deep. All Blacks were the All Blacks and will yet again be the team to beat.

I don't like Jones's England very much but will be cheering them on nonetheless. My  remote Irish heritage means I will be wearing green on occasion too.

I hope we get some surprises along the way. The Pumas nearly did so today. France are always so unpredictable.

The early morning timings in the UK aren't great.

• 4 weeks later...