LP cleaning- how do you?

mjazzg

I'm wondering what people are using to keep all this lovely vinyl posted here clean?

Any recommendations on cloths, brushes, anti-static gizmos and liquids gratefully accepted

Ideally I'd be looking at a record cleaning machine but budget and space preclude at the moment

apologies if this has been discussed before. Search facility didn't turn anything up

I've had RCM for seven years. It's a Clearaudio Smartmatrix but an  Okki Noki is very similar ( and now a lot cheaper). VPI also do one. ( HW16.5 ). I clean most new purchased records and shellac. I'm no obsessive but this audio gadget has been a very cost effective purchase. As long as you don't expect silk purses from trashed vinyl. 

In my experience, any vacuum-type cleaner is going to be MUCH better than anything else. Yes, they're (relatively) expensive. But they're worth it!  I have the Nitty Gritty model 1.0. It's their most basic, all-manual model. But it works great, often dramatically improving the sound of LPs. (Even brand new ones.)

Before getting the Nitty Gritty, I used the Discwasher Record cleaning system and an Audioquest record cleaning brush. Those tools worked worked O.K. -- but any sort of wipe-on/wipe-off cleaning or brush can't compete with vacuum-style machines like Nitty Gritty or VPI.

BTW: I'm not a super audiophile type person. I have an old Rega Planar 3 table with a Marantz receiver and 20+ year-old Pinnacle speakers. All good stuff, but nothing extraordinary.  I'm saying this because you don't need a fancy, mega-buck audio system to notice huge sonic improvements with vacuum-type cleaners.

Have had a VPI for maybe 20 years or more. In my estimation, it's paid for itself (can't remember what it cost back then, maybe $300-400?) many times over, especially if you buy a fair number of used LPs, which I do. If the VPI used properly doesn't help a good deal, there's little or no hope. Damn thing just keeps ticking too -- hope that doesn't jinx it. At one point I acquired a new device (better than the old one) to spread the cleaning fluid on to/work it into the surface of the LPs; otherwise I'm still in the  same place with it.

I see that they go for about $650 now:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7658-vpi-165-record-cleaning-machine.aspx

Edited by Larry Kart

Another +1 for VPI 16.5. Mine has been going strong for over 10 years without a problem... unless you count the vacuum tube I dropped and crushed when I stepped on it.

Friend has an ultrasonic machine which is unreal (cost and performance). Clean records on my VPI are even cleaner / quieter after cleaning on his machine. Amazing....

It is past time I bought one of those LP cleaning systems.

Before investing  in one of those $500+ record cleaner, I plan to purchase a Knosti Disco-Antistat cleaner (http://www.planetedisque.com/fr/entretien/313-knosti-disco-antistat-avec-kit-de-rincage.html) and the reviews are quite positive. Have any of you tried a similar system with good results?

Have had a VPI for maybe 20 years or more. In my estimation, it's paid for itself (can't remember what it cost back then, maybe $300-400?) many times over, especially if you buy a fair number of used LPs, which I do. If the VPI used properly doesn't help a good deal, there's little or no hope. Damn thing just keeps ticking too -- hope that doesn't jinx it. At one point I acquired a new device (better than the old one) to spread the cleaning fluid on to/work it into the surface of the LPs; otherwise I'm still in the  same place with it.

I'm in complete agreement here.  What are people using for record-cleaning fluid?

I'm in complete agreement here.  What are people using for record-cleaning fluid?

Super Record Wash from Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, bought from Music Direct:

http://www.musicdirect.com/search.aspx?searchterm=super record wash

$24.99 for 32 oz. My container, purchased maybe five years ago, still has a quarter of its contents left.

Edited by Larry Kart

I've used both Nitty Gritty's and VPI's cleaning fluids. Both have worked well for me. 

L'art du son Record cleaning fluid.

this comes in a 100ml bottle (£30 from Amazon merchants) . Diluted with distilled or ionised water . The ratio IIRC is around 1 to 50. So this tiny bottle lasts a really long time. Works as well as any thing else I've tried. Also works fine on shellac ( no alcohol)

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Osage Audio / Audio Intelligent fluids. The No. 6 for most LP's, the No. 15 followed by the No. 6 for truly dirty LP's. Either way, I leave the fluid on the LP for 12 - 15 minutes before vacuuming.

L'art du son Record cleaning fluid.

this comes in a 100ml bottle (£30 from Amazon merchants) . Diluted with distilled or ionised water . The ratio IIRC is around 1 to 50. So this tiny bottle lasts a really long time. Works as well as any thing else I've tried. Also works fine on shellac ( no alcohol)

Just ordered a new bottle - my last lot in the fridge is well past its use by date. Works well with the VPI 16.5 and as mentioned, quite good value.

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Last year I started using an ultrasonic tank bath, followed by the Loricraft rcm, which I've had for more than a decade. The results are fantastic, better than with the rcm alone.

Regarding the various cleaning fluids...I make my own, consisting of filtered water, a couple of drops of soap and a small amount of alcohol.