Wilton Felder RIP

clifford_thornton

big time RIP for him.  only saw him one time, finally saw him about 3 yrs ago when they had the JC reunion.  1st im gonna enjoy in full his 1983 lp: gentle fire (mca).  then im gonna listen to my autographed copy of Bullitt (world pac).  then im gonna LEARN ABOUT HOW HE PLAYED BASS, i really dont know abt that, so yr saying between the JC's in reality its wilton whos the most commercially popular, not joe sample, wilton having apparently jammed the studio bass trk for Jackson 5 "i want you back".  wtf.  i no nothing abt this.  i just know about jazz crusaders, and his awesome solo lps.  u know why i dont know abt it i really dont listen to a lot of motown.  so i suppose i should of noticed he plays plays on grant green/lighthouse?  thats actually pretty unique, theres not a lot of jazz musicians who double on like two totally different instruments, right.  

I don't know that Wilton's bass playing ever got me in the way Leroy Vinnegar's often does, or a few other bass first people. But I was always glad he was doing the work.

But on tenor! Wow, that SOUND!!!!! He was ALWAYS the star of the JCs for me.

Bye and thanks very, very much.

MG