Phil Woods R.I.P.

ghost of miles

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...
On 5/23/2018 at 7:16 PM, JSngry said:

Whoa, man! Thanks for that! Great arr. by CB, and yet more superlative PW. Was that from a record PW made with CB, or was that just made for the compilation?

I'm sorry, but PW didn't engage in 'bells and whistles', and after 1957, there was no 'period' where he got worse. It was straight ahead till the disease made it impossible for him to play at that level. 

On 9/30/2015 at 11:19 AM, JSngry said:

What's the deal with Greek Cooking? Never have checked it out, fear/curiosity ratio has always ran something like 64/56. Is it just cheesy or is there some real spirit there?

folder.jpg

I just saw an interview with PW from Hamilton College on you tube. The interviewer asks him if there were any albums he regretted making (OSLT).

PW answers: "Well there's always 'Greek Cooking'..." and then they both cracked up laughing.

21 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

Hmmm....what means "OSLT"? Please reply ASAP of at least PDQ, SVP. :mellow:

22 hours ago, sgcim said:

I just saw an interview with PW from Hamilton College on you tube. The interviewer asks him if there were any albums he regretted making (OSLT).

PW answers: "Well there's always 'Greek Cooking'..." and then they both cracked up laughing.

Or Something Like That; I believe that is my own creation, and I am currently involved in securing a patent for it, so I can collect royalties every time it's used...

Joey Goldstein told me you showed up at his gig Monday night. He laments the fact that you're not on the air anymore, as I'm sure anyone who digs jazz in Toronto also does.

2 hours ago, sgcim said:

Or Something Like That; I believe that is my own creation, and I am currently involved in securing a patent for it, so I can collect royalties every time it's used...

Joey Goldstein told me you showed up at his gig Monday night. He laments the fact that you're not on the air anymore, as I'm sure anyone who digs jazz in Toronto also does.

I did indeed see/hear the under-recognized Joey with the John MacLeod Rex Hotel Jazz Orchestra, a worthy successor to Rob McConnell's Boss Brass, in which Joey's role is not unlike Ed Bickert's...strong solos, sensitive comping for others' solos and be a sparkplug.  The nods from the other band members to Goldstein may be enough for his ego, but I still wish that the listeners would recognize his contributions, though he's one of 20 in the band....

Is it really too much to type out "Or Something Like That"?  Whut-the-hell-ever-happened-to-read-and-understand-NOW?  Is it really creative if no one understands you?

19 minutes ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

I did indeed see/hear the under-recognized Joey with the John MacLeod Rex Hotel Jazz Orchestra, a worthy successor to Rob McConnell's Boss Brass, in which Joey's role is not unlike Ed Bickert's...strong solos, sensitive comping for others' solos and be a sparkplug.  The nods from the other band members to Goldstein may be enough for his ego, but I still wish that the listeners would recognize his contributions, though he's one of 20 in the band....

Is it really too much to type out "Or Something Like That"?  Whut-the-hell-ever-happened-to-read-and-understand-NOW?  Is it really creative if no one understands you?

I'm pretty much depending on the royalties from my OSLT patent to fund my early retirement...

On 6/2/2018 at 4:35 PM, JSngry said:

But then again, that's just me. The Q is in there to thwart hackers.

Maybe copyrights, too.

I started to wonder about all this years ago, when the TV ads started calling Preparation H "Prep H"...  C'mon, how close do you need to be to over-the-counter (OTC!!!) hemorrhoid medications that you can shorten their names...they must not be working if you have a nickname for 'em. :blink:  

On 6/1/2018 at 6:14 PM, sgcim said:

I'm pretty much depending on the royalties from my OSLT patent to fund my early retirement...

That would be a copyright or a trademark, not a patent ;)

2 minutes ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

Maybe copyrights, too.

I started to wonder about all this years ago, when the TV ads started calling Preparation H "Prep H"...  C'mon, how close do you need to be to over-the-counter (OTC!!!) hemorrhoid medications that you can shorten their names...they must not be working if you have a nickname for 'em. :blink:  

What is your point. The name and all its derivatives are trademarked. 

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

That would be a copyright or a trademark, not a patent ;)

What is your point. The name and all its derivatives are trademarked. 

Have you no sense of humour?  Or are you a lawyer protecting your client?  Jeez, a nickname for hemorrhoids needs an explanation?  Wow. 

28 minutes ago, Brad said:

It’s not a sense of humor but a question of being exact in your use of terms. Yes, I’m a lawyer and proud of it. Did I insult your profession? ;) 

Brad, you're skipping over one contribution.

I said copyrights, in effect agreeing with you I suppose;  and indeed think that accuracy in terms in really important.  I spent four decades in live-on-air radio (37 of them doing exclusively jazz programmes) recognizing it's out-of-your-mouth on the air, and people mishear (BOY! do they mishear!), so be accurate.

EVERYbody insults my former broadcasting profession :P so I currently just admit to being retired.  Who can possibly insult that???   Prep H users? :P

13 minutes ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

Brad, you're skipping over one contribution.

I said copyrights, in effect agreeing with you I suppose;  and indeed think that accuracy in terms in really important.  I spent four decades in live-on-air radio (37 of them doing exclusively jazz programmes) recognizing it's out-of-your-mouth on the air, and people mishear (BOY! do they mishear!), so be accurate.

EVERYbody insults my former broadcasting profession :P so I currently just admit to being retired.  Who can possibly insult that???   Prep H users? :P

Ted, you’re right.  You sound like my wife: “can stop being a damned lawyer?” :D

Fortunately, for everybody I’m retired!