Phil Woods R.I.P.

ghost of miles

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

abcdb98b8e.jpg

thank you for the music and R.I.P

Great rhythm section, of course, but Woods more than holds his own.  I've told my story 'bout playing his Warm Woods LP in the Electric Fetus before haven't I?

I'm not sure but I'd love to hear the story.

RIP, maestro, and thank you.

Not sure about the rhythm section`s greatness or the "Maestro holding his own" ?

abcdb98b8e.jpg

Great rhythm section, of course, but Woods more than holds his own.  I've told my story 'bout playing his Warm Woods LP in the Electric Fetus before haven't I?

Not sure about the rhythm section`s greatness or the "Maestro holding his own" ?

Not sure if I've heard story about Warm Woods and the Electric Fetus record store.

abcdb98b8e.jpg

Not sure if I've heard story about Warm Woods and the Electric Fetus record store.

Ok

abcdb98b8e.jpg

Ok

When I worked at the Electric Fetus in Mpls many years ago we put a side of Warm Woods on one slow day - there were 4 groups of customers in the store - some singles, some couples - and not all browsing the jazz aisle either.  Before the LP side was over every group had bought a copy; best ratio of sales to customers for in in-store play ever, IIRC.  I didn't mean to imply that Phil wasn't on the same level as the Booker Ervin Books rhythm section, just that they had been formed for other purposes and I wouldn't have guessed how well they work together, but they do and all credit to all concerned.

I have the LP Greek Cooking; to my surprise, it is excellent, one of the best Phil Woods records I've heard. I've never seen a CD reissue.

It is a real good album!  Phil blowing with more traditional Greek bouzouki.  But jazz music in many ways.  Struck me with the same kinda good vibes as Emil Richards' "Journey to Bliss" when I first heard it.  I do have Greek Cooking on CD.  I bought it a while ago through a Japanese or British Amazon seller.  OOP now for sure.

Phil Woods is not an artist whose work I specifically seek out, but wow, he is on virtually EVERY New York hi-fi space-age big band record of the 1960s, including those by Michel Legrand, Oliver Nelson, Quincy Jones, Kenyon Hopkins, and Manny Albam.  (Imagine a time when major labels poured so much money into these kinds of sessions!) Phil's soloing on those records is always so distinctive. 

One of my favorite Sunday albums is Images with Michel Legrand, well worth seeking out if you like those two artists.

Clark Terry, incidentally, is on so many of those albums too.  I am reminded of the quote by Gene Lees:  "When you are young, in any generation, major public names surround you like great trees. When you grow older, and start losing friends, one day you realize that you don't have many left. And then there is another dark revelation: even those famous figures are going, and one day it comes to you: They're clear-cutting the landscape of your life."

So, sun kills, that's the ultimate takeaway, right? :g

Seriously, I just meant that I like the idea of "keeping up with the times" as much as makes sense, just so you don't end up a total stranger to your own world. Because, yeah, that forest ain't coming back. But there were forests before, and there will be forests after. Or something. Hell, if it's a desert, learn to ride a camel.

and I gotta get that Greek Cooking thing.

Phil was also a great LEAD alto player.  His sound defined for me the personality of the Oliver Nelson sax section, or Quincy's.  Love stuff like Benny Carter's "Further Definitions" with Phil's identity making things very groovy!

...Then there is all the great music Phil made with Tom Harrell to consider...

What's the deal with Greek Cooking? Never have checked it out, fear/curiosity ratio has always ran something like 64/56. Is it just cheesy or is there some real spirit there?

folder.jpg

I've never heard Greek Cooking, but according to a radio interview with Phil some years ago (Jazz From the Archives, WBGO?) it wasn't one of his favorites. He was promised a date that he wanted to do by the producer (whoever it was) if he did Greek Cooking. According to Phil said producer reneged on that second date.

Still, I'd like to hear it. Looks like an interesting affair.

Edited by fasstrack