Anybody Heard From Jazzmoose Lately?

JSngry

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/27/2017 at 0:20 PM, RDK said:

This may be old news as I'm not on the O very often these days, but it appears that Mark Combs, Jazzmoose, has passed away.  I'm not sure when, but today was his birthday, prompting a Facebook reminder, and a quick look at his FB page shows several RIP comments. Thought you guys would like to know.  

Crap. I posted a HB quickly from my phone and did not realize. Damn.

On 12/28/2017 at 10:47 AM, catesta said:

Wow, how sad.  I've enjoyed many exchanges with him over the years. Dude had a great sense of humor and he will definitely be missed.

Peace :(

This and all of the other comments. Somehow I missed this news, though I knew he’d been battling cancer in recent years. Corresponded with him from time to time about several shared interests and always liked the vibe that he brought to this board. Was he part of the exodus from the old Blue Note board? (Man, that was a long time ago.)  EDIT: just looked at his join date and it was March 6, 2003, the week that all that craziness went down with the BNBB (3/3/2003, day of infamy!), so yeah, he must have been part of that migration. I thought I remembered him posting at the Blue Note board. 

Edited by ghost of miles

• 4 weeks later...

His obituary has been posted on the funeral home where his services were held: http://www.lovelandfuneralchapel.com/obituary/Mark-Durelle-Combs/La-Grande-Oregon/1774503

obit_photo.php?fullsize=1&id=1774503&cli

Obituary

Mark Durelle Combs, 59, of La Grande, passed away on Friday, December 15, 2017 at his residence. A Celebration of Life will be held at Loveland Funeral Chapel on Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 7:00pm.

Mark was born December 27, 1957 in Norfolk, Virginia to Carrol and Loretta (Milne) Combs. He resided in Virginia; Hawaii; Bellingham, WA; Ludowici, GA; Sunnyvale, CA; Deridder, LA; Cove, OR and La Grande, OR. Mark graduated from high school in Ludowici, GA and attended college in California.

After serving on a submarine in the Navy for about 3 years, Mark used his talents to work with a group that designed GPS units. Upon selling his shares, he was able to open and operate a comic book store in California He then worked at Target and worked at the La Grande Safeway Store for nearly 10 years. Mark had an endless love for his cats. He would often say they were his kids. He loved to draw comics, really enjoyed Jazz, playing guitar. He was an avid pipe smoker and tobacco collector. He had a tobacco collection he estimated would take more than 10 years to smoke. He liked jokes and making all of us laugh was possibly his favorite thing ever. He was very interested in history, loved gardening, loved discussing the science of plants, loved reading and had thousands of books - mainly science fiction, but read a bit of everything. He was into so many different things on so many different subjects.

Mark is survived by his half sister, Elizabeth Svanberg of Boca Raton, FL; step brother, Scott Bobarger (Margie) of Elgin, OR; step-mother, Doris Combs of La Grande, OR; Uncle, Donald C. Combs of Ludowici, GA; Uncle Durelle Combs of Ludowici, GA; and Aunt, Patsy West of Arkansas. He was preceded in death by his parents Carrol and Loretta.

• 4 months later...

Some of the best stuff that I got via mail/PM was from Mark.
Because I'm not around here anymore, really (every few weeks/months), this thread here took me by total surprise.

Mark was one cool dude who knew his stuff.
I keep all my mail in a program (highly recommended) called "MailStore" (compressed, database, etc.) and, in exactly that order, I received mails worth keeping from

- couw (= John ... long gone)
- Flurin (still around, I see)
- and Mark.

Mark had a great (!) sense of humor, deep knowledge of the topics we conversed about and, most importantly, a deep-seated passion (!) for these topics.

I'll miss him.

Edited by neveronfriday

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...